Chapter 9|Plants

Tourmaline and I went back to my room after dinner. She squeezed through the door and curled by my backpack. You know, someday I'm not going to fit. Dragons don't stop growing. Also, you never asked if we could go hunting. Tourmaline commented once she was comfortable.  There's a spell that would allow you to fit anywhere in the tower, but I need something for it. I answered. 

I dug around my backpack until I found what I was looking for. It was a dark blue choker with a moonstone sewn onto it. Moonstones were easy to enchant and gemstones can hold magical energy, so it was perfect. I first enlarged the choker to fit around Tourmaline's neck, then cast a spell for the wearer to shrink on command. It was tiring work, the spells complicated. I deposited some energy into the moonstone and fitted it to Tourmaline's neck. Satisfied with my work, I told her to try it out.

Won't the magic take up too much energy? Tourmaline asked when she had shrunk down to backpack size. That's why I put energy into the gem and made it so the spell would take up that energy, not mine. I explained.  Makes sense. Tourmaline enlarged back to her normal size and curled up again. I sat down on my bed, bored. I looked over to my backpack, there had to be something to entertain me. Inside it was my cloak, a whetstone, sword polish, and a packet of seeds. A packet of seeds! Tourmaline, look! I held up the packet for her to see. Inside was an assortment of seeds that would grow into different plants with magical qualities. Where are you going to plant them? Tourmaline inquired. I was thinking of the roof. It isn't being used. I answered. You have fun with your plants, I'm going to sleep. Tourmaline laid her head on her front claws and closed her eyes. I smiled softly at the adorable sight went to find the roof. 

After a few minutes of searching, I found the staircase leading to the roof. Piled in the corner were a few bags of dirt, wooden plant boxes, and a rusty watering can. It looked like someone was going to start a garden, but never got to it. I got to work. I poured the dirt in the boxes and planted the seeds. At one point I went back downstairs to fill up the watering can, careful not to wake up any of the sleeping Avengers. I watered the seeds and set the watering can down. Now it was time for the magical part. It wasn't uncommon to see elves singing to the plants in their care, their voices laced with magic. It helped the plants grow and have special magical properties. It was, however, very uncommon for other elves to have my gift with plants. I got it from my mom, only she was much better at using it. 

I placed my hand on the mushy dirt. I closed my eyes and started softly singing the first few lines of my favorite song in elvish. I opened my eyes. My hand and the dirt around it was glowing with dark blue magic. Rising between my fingers was a small seedling. Its leaves were spreading out to find the sun, which was beginning to rise over the cityscape of New York. I went over and sat down on the ledge. Streaks of orange and pink washed over the hazy early morning sky. I smiled, wishing someone was here to enjoy it with me. 

My head snapped to the direction where I heard the door to the roof creak open. Loki was standing there wearing a green t-shirt and black pajama pants. I patted the ledge next to me, inviting him to sit. He strutted over and gracefully lowered himself onto the ledge. "So what brings you to the roof?" I asked leisurely. "I was looking for you. I don't dislike your company as much as the others." Loki said. I laughed, "High compliment from you, I assume?" "Yes, it is." Loki agreed. It seemed there was an easy banter between us. "There's some dirt on your nose." Loki lifted his thumb and wiped the supposed dirt off of my nose. I stiffened at the touch, but relaxed when I realized he wasn't going to hurt me. Loki brought his arm back to his side. My eyes slid down to my feet dangling off the roof. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have touched you without your permission." He apologized. "It's okay, just reflexes..." I smiled warmly at him. He nodded as he understood.

"Why are you hanging out with me?" I blurted. It was a question that had been at the back of my mind. Loki looked taken aback. "I like you more than others." He simply said. "But why? Why would anyone want to spend time with me?" I questioned. "Why would anyone not want to?" He asked softly. "No one has wanted to before, except for a couple of people. You don't have to feel sorry for me. I'm used to being alone, besides, I have Tourmaline." I stated. "Thistle, I enjoy your company," Loki reassured me. I didn't understand why he liked me, but it was nice. Maybe I didn't have to be alone all the time. 

****

I feel like there was some growth in this chapter. I'm excited to see Thistle's character development as she learns to love herself again. 

~The author