Chapter 28|A Letter

Sunlight peeked through the windows of the med bay. I sat in a chair next to Ave's bed. She was curled up in a blanket, red-stained bandages wrapped around her leg. "Your horns are bigger. And you have fangs now." Ave said bluntly. "Yeah... I guess that happens when you're a dragon rider." I grinned. "Two years is a long time, huh?" Ave looked down at her hands. "Yeah." I replied. The mood turned somber. "I missed you." "I missed you too, Ave."

"But, I'm not banished anymore. I can go back whenever I want." I studied the scars on my wrist. I usually covered them up, but I used the glove for Ave. "That's great! You wouldn't have seen Amare recently, by chance?" Her golden eyes shone with worry about her betrothed. "She's fine. She healed my case of Moonfever when I went to Stardust." The door creaked open, revealing a sheepish Loki. 

"Sorry to interrupt your conversation, darling, but Cap wanted me to let you know that breakfast is ready." Ave smirked at me. "Darling huh? Guess I'm not the only one in a relationship." My cheeks burned as she mentioned Loki. "He's my boyfriend." Ave's smirk widened, but she relented. "Anyway, let's get breakfast." She threw the blanket off of herself and swung her legs off the bed. "You can't just do whatever you want! You were just shot!" I tried pushing her back onto the bed, but Ave threw me off of her. "Relax, Prickly. I'm a fast healer. The bullet wasn't even magic." She limped over to the door, still in her assassin clothes. She picked up her belt, hanging it loosely around her hips. I sighed and followed her out of the Med Bay.

***

"How could you let her out of the Med Bay?" Steve put his hands on his hips. "I couldn't stop her! She's a lot stronger than me!" I yelled back. Ave rolled her eyes. "I'm a fast healer, and I'm fine." Ave did a high fan kick to demonstrate her point. "See? No pain." "You're a faster healer than Thistle." Bruce commented. I thought of the days I had spent in the Med Bay because of fighting shadow wolves. "Always have been." Ave pointed out. She grabbed a plate of pancakes and sat down on one of the couches dotting the common room. 

A raven ran into one of the windows, surprising everyone.  Loki rushed over to open the window. "It's for Thistle." He said, reading the name on the message on the raven's leg. Disappointment tinged his voice. I wondered if he was expecting a letter from someone on Asgard. I untied the message and unfurled the scroll. It was a letter from Snowdrop. "It's a letter from my cousin, Snowdrop. She's coming to visit with Ave's betrothed Amare and pick her up." I anounced. "Elves have such weird names." Tony commented. He was drinking a cup of coffee. It seemed the only thing he ever drank was scotch or coffee. It didn't seem healthy. 

"We could say the same thing about humans, Toony." Ave replied. Her accent was heavier than mine, which led her to pronounce some things differently. Tony had claimed it was scottish, but I was doubtful. "My cousin and I were named after flowers, while you're name rhymes with a meat product." I said. Clint whispered a small 'roasted' from the vents. Loki smirked, raising his hand. We high-fived and I stole a pancake off his plate. He shot a glare at me, but I just stuck out my tongue in response.

"Did the letter say when Queen Snowdrop and Amare are arriving?" Thor asked. "They're taking perytons, so I imagine over-morrow." I answered. "Wait, your cousin is a queen?!" Tony exclaimed. I rolled my eyes. "Yes, and I'm a princess." Tony's eyes widened even more. "Reindeer Games, you knew about this?" Loki nodded. "Ever since I visited her village." "Why didn't you tell us?" Tony's eyes were still wide. I guess he didn't figure me as the princess type. "I didn't think it mattered. I was disgraced from the throne and banished until recently. Besides, you don't seem to care that Thor and Loki are princes." "They're gods. It didn't seem that far fetched that the two gods from a different planet are princes." I rolled my eyes and leaned against Loki. "Are you two dating?" Steve asked, pointing at Loki and I. "Yes, Steven." Loki said bluntly. 

***

Loki and I cuddled while watching a movie. Ave had never seen one before, and we figured Disney was a good start. I had learned so much about human culture over the course of living with them. It was months after I'd moved in the tower, and I thought I was doing well adjusting from being homeless and alone to having a home and a new family. Ave sat on a different couch, sharpening her spear while watching the movie. I wondered where the elfling went, and why no one had mentioned her. I shook the thought from my mind. I deserved a quiet night, especially since the past few days were stressful.

The movie ended and Ave left for her room. Loki's chest fell and rose with each peaceful breath. He must've fallen asleep during the movie. I smiled softly and untangled myself, causing him to stir. I grunted as I lifted him off the couch and dragged him to his room. I tucked him in and kissed him goodnight, then left for my own room. Tourmaline was curled up on my bed, also sleeping. She was her full size, leaving me barely any room. I sighed and sat at my desk, taking out my sketchbook and pencils.

Before I knew it, I was drawing Loki, fully adorned in his battle armor. Complete with his golden horned helmet.