Chapter 36|The Attack

Content warning: Gore.

Thunder rolled across the village, warning the villagers to seek shelter. A few strayed behind, continuing on with their daily lives. Panic shook through me. A knot formed in my gut. Tourmaline threw me onto her back as the first arc of lightning cracked. She took to the sky, pumping her wings towards the Dragon Stables. A figure caught my eye, smoke dancing in my vision. I looked over, and it was gone. I took a deep breath, rain dripping into my eyes. The figure appeared again, gone as I blinked water out of my eyes. Tourmaline landed on the runway, her claws clicking against the polished wood.

The sound of the war horn reverberated throughout the palace. Green magic swirled around Loki as he teleported into the room. "There you are! We're under attack." He said urgently. He was in full battle attire, his golden horned helmet newly polished. I strapped on metal greaves and bracers. I didn't have any other armor. Loki slid in behind me on Tourmaline's back. She took off once again, pushing against the strong winds created by the storm.

Spells and weapons flew everywhere as elves battled against our opponents. Upon closer inspection I realized that the army was equal parts shadow creatures and faeries. I sucked in a breath. "Those are faeries." Loki gripped my waist tighter in reassurance. "I understand if you don't want to fight them..." I shook my head, urging Tourmaline to go faster. "I have to protect my people, the elves." Loki kissed my cheek. "I understand."

Tourmaline dove into the fray, fire blazing around us. I slid off of my dragon and charged, my swords shifting from their bracelet form. Lightning crackled by me, electrocuting a wave of shadow wolves. Tourmaline and I fought in unison, mowing down shadow wolf after shadow wolf. I lost my nerve once I came across a fairy. Sparks flew off of our weapons as elven steel hit the fairy's sword. I dodged their attacks, swiping my sword on their neck. Blood gushed out of the wound as they fell. I sliced through another person, their blood splattering my bracers. Bile rose up in my throat, but I stamped it down. This was my home, and no one could take that from me.

Fairfolk formed a circle around me, their blades drawn. A series of arrows made a sickening noise as they flew into the skulls of my enemies. I sent a small smile of thanks towards Clint, who was already taking on more foes. I sliced through the throat of a wolf, then another with my swords. Puddles of blood stained the ground we battled on, both elf and fairy. I hacked and sliced my way to Tourmaline, whose sharp appendages were carving a gristly scene. I climbed onto her back. The dragon let out a ear-splitting battle cry as she launched into the air. I joined the battle cry, rallying my people against our enemies. My swords clicked into place as they took their bow form. Clint joined me as I let loose a volley of arrows wherever they were needed. Peter swung from the trees, using his webs to trip the opposition. "What are you doing here?" I yelled over the cacophony of sound. "Helping!" He responded breathlessly. "You're too young for war, Peter!" I shot arrows at the tripped troops. He swung away towards Tony, who hopefully would have the same reaction.

Exhaustion crept over me as I continued to battle. Surely it would he over soon, right? Bodies littered the ground, their broken and glassy eyes staring towards the heavens. Tourmaline landed on the ground, her claws digging through the mud for traction. It was still pouring, but at least the lightning had moved on. Fire blazed around us as we fought in unison.

A horn blew across the field. The opposing side retreated, leaving their dead behind. Both of our armies were damaged, but hopefully we won the battle. Loki sprinted toward me, checking to see if I was okay. I pressed a kiss to his cold and comforting lips, slumping into his arms. "I'm okay." I whispered in his armor. We were both covered in blood and grime, but that didnt seem important at the moment. What was important was that we were okay. Tourmaline curled her tail around us.