Chapter 26 - Ruins

"Red, where are you?" I ask through the watch.

"I'm at some ruins. You?"

"At a lake," I answer.

"I have my connection location on. Turn yours on too. It lets us see where the other is, but no one else can," Red tells me through the watch.

I turn it on and look at the map.

"The scooters track every move you made while riding it. Check it to see where you went. I'll do the same," Red says.

I push a button and a screen on the scooter turns on to show me my path. It also shows me Red's path.

"Red, the nearest spot for both of us is some other runes," I say.

"I hear ya. Meet you there," Red says, "And by the way, Slash has taken over the fort. I saw him."

The call ends and I just stand there. I look at Red's line, which is in red. It's moving closer to the runes. My line in blue is still. I hop on my scooter and start the engine. I burst forward. I look down. My line is moving toward the ruins now. I look back up in time to steer around a tree. I dial Red.

"Yes?"

"Hey, it's me. How can we look at the map to make sure we're going the right way, and stop ourselves from crashing?" I ask.

"Look down every so often," Red says.

"Okay, see you later."

I end the call. I turn on turbo speed. I barely have time to swerve around objects. I slow down. When I get to the ruins, Red isn't there. I look at my scooter. She should be here. I look in the direction of her line. I see her coming towards me. I jump out of the way. She passes me and slows down. She parks her scooter next to mine. She takes off a helmet and walks over to me.

"Where did you get the helmet?" I ask.

"Scooter. They come with helmets," Red answers, "I have a solution for your little problem. The helmets have visors with different settings. They connect to the scooter. See?"

I look at the helmet. On the side is a button that controls whether the visor is up or down. Next to that button is a knob so you can turn it to set the setting.

"That's cool and all, but will we really need it?" I ask.

Red nods.

"Think about if we get split up again."

"What if one of us is captured and the scooter is taken away?" I ask.

"Since we were the first people to use it, unless we change the personal settings, it will turn black when someone else uses it," Red states.

I nod. Sounds logical.

"The scooters have a special compartment that keeps food from spoiling. Let's empty your bag into our special compartments," Red says.

"How do you know all this?" I ask, "You didn't stop for that long."

Red shrugs.

"When you were asleep till lunch, I was checking out the scooters," Red states, matter-of-factly.

We spend the rest of the day learning about the scooters. Or should I say, Red teaches me for the rest of the day.