Chapter 6 - Running

I run down the hallway with more anger than I have every felt in my life. I am so consumed with my thoughts that I don't notice how many servants are pressing themselves against the wall, so as to not get barreled over.

I run out of the castle mindlessly. I run through the village and into the forest surrounding it. I only stop after I trip over a root sticking out of the ground.

I finally notice where I am, but I don't know where that is. I've never gone outside of the village before. I walk around hoping my wolf senses will lead me home. All they do is get me lost even more. My senses aren't as attuned as my brothers'.

I sit down on the ground next to a tree and sigh loudly.

"Who's there? Who ever it is come out with your hands up! I'm armed, you know!"

I roll my eyes. Well now I know that, and there is no way I'm going out with my hands up. I look up the tree I'm sitting on. I stand up slowly, as to not make any noise, and I silently climb up the tree and sit on a limb out of view.

A human walks into the clearing brandishing a...a....a pitchfork. I watch him carefully.

"Where did you go? If you're one of those wolf creatures I will kill you!"

I gulp and rub my neck with my hands. I think about what he said. If he doesn't know I'm a Wolfum, maybe he won't kill me. I tuck my wolf ears under my hair and prepare to jump down. He turns around and starts going back into the forest. I jump down quietly and follow him.

He looks around like he feels my eyes following him. As I follow him, he looks around at the ground and bends down a lot, like there is something there. As he moves on, I look where he looked, and there is something there. Traps. Ropes that lead up to a tree, with a rock that knocks on a wind chime.

He is trying to catch us Wolfums. He must really hate us. As I follow him farther into the forest he keeps looking back and making his trail more confusing. I think he knows someone is following him. As I follow him deeper into the forest, we get closer to a clearing. I am to far off, but there is a light in the clearing.

Then the boy goes into the clearing, and I see it. What is in the clearing? I gasp and back up farther into the shadows. A human village.