Chapter 22 - Back

We pull to a stop at the tree. We park the double scooter in the tree.

"Why did you grab a double scooter?" I ask.

Elliott shrugs. Then he pushes a button and it splits into two separate scooters. Hence the name, double scooter. A double scooter is easily recognized because it is bigger than most scooters, and it turns into two different scooters.

"Time to test out the carrier," Elliott says.

As he puts some of the supplies into the carrier, I climb up the ladder, ready to put the supplies in the fort. Elliott starts pulling the vine when he sees that I'm up. The carrier works pretty well.

Once all our supplies are in the fort, Elliott climbs up the ladder and starts sorting. I put the sorted supplies into some storage boxes we made. Keeps the animals out. When we finish, we take a well-deserved break.

After hiking to the nearest town, which is still pretty far away, getting in a fight with some thugs, and putting the supplies away, I think we are both worn out. Luckily, it is nightfall, so we can go to sleep. When we wake up, we make sure we have all the locating chips in the electronics off. If that bunch of thugs find us, I don't think we'll be as lucky this time.

Elliott sleeps till noon and stays up till midnight. We both wake up at the same time the next morning. Elliott goes down the ladder to eat. A few minutes later, I hear him come back up and knock lightly on my door flap. I'm on my bed, looking at the picture of my family. Elliott comes in when he doesn't get a response. He stops when he sees me looking at the picture.

As he turns to leave, I say, "You would have liked Blue. She was fierce and good-hearted."

Elliott smiles and leaves me with my memories hanging over my head, just out of my reach.