Chapter Twenty-Three: The Avatar's Love

"We're going to do what?! Katara, are you crazy!?" Zuko began to pace the room as he looked towards the ceiling in complete disbelief.

"Think about it Zuko, this is our last chance to actually get ahead of them! If we don't stop them, Aang will be forced to give him back his bending. He's too hard-headed to do otherwise!"

"No, he just cares too much about us to do otherwise! Katara, your plan might as well be a suicide attempt! There is no way that you, me, and Toph, will be able to dress as one of those guards and get down there without getting caught! Even if we get into the Fire Nation clothes, how are we supposed to know where they'll be? For all we know, they've already done it and they're coming now to send us on our way!" Katara quickly held her finger to her nose, motioning for Zuko to hush himself as footsteps sounded outside the door. With focused ears, Katara held her head to the wall, listening through it as two unsuspecting guards strolled by.

"Did you hear? Phoenix King Ozai is getting his bending back tonight, and then, we'll be able to take over the world once again!"

"Be reasonable Lee, even if the Avatar gave him back his bending abilities, we'll still have an Avatar to worry about!"

"Not a problem, apparently the kid has gone googly-eyed over the princess. The world is as good as ours!" Hesitantly, the guard looked down towards his boots and then back towards his partner.

"I don't know Lee. I mean, the girl attempted to kill him multiple times. Something isn't right here, I just know something is going to happen."
"Like what? They're back in the courtyard surrounded by those combustion freaks. There's not a single chance that the Avatar or his foolish friends will be able to do a thing."

"You're right! Come on, let's get down there now! I don't want to miss the light show once the Avatar starts the process." Hurriedly, the footsteps picked up the pace and rapidly left the vicinity of Katara's hearing range. Once they left, Katara turned towards her friends, her face filled with an overwhelming look of confidence and determination.

"Trust me, Zuko, we'll get in those uniforms, and we'll make it down there. You heard the guards, they're down at the courtyard."

"Yeah, next to the combustion benders! Face it Katara, we lost. We didn't cut it this time. Why should we put the small number of resources we have left into a longshot plan over taking the time to recover, strategize, and try again with more help?"

"Because that's not going to stop the aftermath of Ozai getting his bending back! And..."

"It won't get Aang back. Katara, you and him are like the same person, constantly thinking of others instead of yourself. However, when it comes to you two, if he's the one on the chopping block then we throw everything at it to try and save him. The same goes the other way when you switch roles and you become the damsel in distress!"

"Your point is?! Aang is the freaking Avatar! Don't you think that we should at least try and save him!" Toph scoffed and shook her head before turning around and walking towards the far wall, away from Katara.

"Do what you want to do, Sugar Queen. I'll go along with whatever you, and hothead over there, figure out what is right. Just remember, we still have two injured with unknown whereabouts."

"Look, I didn't say it was a perfect plan. But right now we need to act fast, our current situation doesn't allow us just to sit and think for hours on end! We have to act now!" Sighing in frustration, Zuko slammed his fist through the wall. Both Katara and Toph's eyes widened instantly from the sudden fit of rage, however, none of them spoke further on the plan as to not upset Zuko more than he already was.