Chapter Ten: Found

As Aang and his friends continued to inhabit the underground bunker, they began to adjust to life within the volcano. Everyday mirrored one another, waking up and training with Zuko, enjoying tea with Iroh, being healed by Katara, and then finally talking with Suki about what he had remembered, once Katara fell asleep. Truthfully, it was a life that Aang would've been happy to live, if only he wasn't the Avatar, the world's last hope.

"Okay, from the beginning, what do you remember about Sozin's Comet? The day that we finally took down my father." Although Aang currently liked his day to day life, the constant drilling of his past had grown beyond just a normal headache. Even Katara had noticed this during their frequent healing sessions.

"Wow, your neck is all twisted up in knots. I'm sure your head is just pounding right now," she would say nonchalantly. Oh, how right she was. Luckily, she attributed it to his injuries and the overwhelming stress of keeping the world safe. For now, Katara would continue to be left in the dark.

"Zuko, it's really late, can't we just pick this up tomorrow?" Zuko shook his head slowly as Suki facepalmed in annoyance. They had been at this for more than a couple of hours now, circled around a table with Iroh's signature jasmine tea to help keep them awake. Sighing, Aang looked back behind him and smiled weakly as he laid his eyes upon the open door. Inside, he knew that Katara was lying peacefully asleep, unconsciously waiting for Aang so that she could wrap her arms around him. Aang smiled at the thought, lying peacefully awake as he watched her calm breathing rise and fall. He had only been able to experience this once since he and Katara had both been inside the volcano, but the one time allowed for Aang to finally get a taste of love, true love. He couldn't quite put his finger on it, but that girl, specifically, was special. She truly had him wrapped around her finger, under a mesmerizing spell, and Aang was more than willing to keep it that way.

"Airhead, you in there!?" Frantically, Aang shot his head back towards Zuko and Suki. Nervously, he began to chuckle lightly as an intense heat rushed into his cheeks.

"Well, it's good to see that's the same. But still, if we are going to get your memory back then we're going to have to jog your memory, and that means constant testing. Now tell me, what do you remember about the day of Sozin's Comet?" Forcefully, Aang began to prod his fingers on the back of his neck, pressing down heavily on the knot as he attempted to search through the depths of his mind.

"Zuko, it's hazy, I don't think-."

"Just try," he bellowed, slamming his fist down on the table. Wincing, Aang resumed his thoughts, picking his brain for any sort of memory.

"I remember... I remember... I remember fighting Ozai, he was getting the better of me." Zuko nodded, smiling slightly as he watched him struggle to retain his memories.

"Good, good, what else?"

"I-I, I remember encasing myself in a ball of earth. I was done for, I was close to death. The heat, oh spirits the heat..." Rapidly, the arrow atop his head began to flicker, causing Suki to reel back in horror.

"Zuko, stop! He's had enough!"

"What else, Aang! You have it in you, tell me! What happened next!?" Gritting his teeth, Aang pulled his hands towards his temples, gripping tightly as he fought to maintain his grip.

"His fire, it was burning through my shield. I was doomed, he was going to kill me... then... then..."
"Then what?!" Suddenly, the air began to swarm around them, rattling the very complex they were inside. Zuko's persistent questioning had caused Aang to lose his sanity. Suki was right, her stories were correct, he was no longer himself anymore. When he had lost his memory, he had lost a piece of himself, and truthfully, Zuko had no clue if he could ever be restored. Hurriedly, Iroh ran from his room and into the main area of the complex, his face in horror as he looked at the sight in front of him. Reacting on instinct, Iroh rushed near Katara's room and banged heavily on the metal door.