Chapter Twenty-Eight: Defending Home

War... it's neither glamorous nor attractive. It is monstrous. Its very nature is one of tragedy and suffering. Despite the numerous battles he had partaken in throughout his life, harming someone in any way, shape, or form, went against Aang's morals and ethics. Gyatso had always told him that peace was the greatest reward of all and that people shouldn't allow the behavior of others to destroy your own inner peace. Usually, Aang would be able to hold himself back, keeping him from what the darker side of his brain wanted him to do. Amidst the chaos, he looked to his left and watched in horror as his friends began to become overwhelmed and overran. Angrily, he turned back and looked towards the smug-looking Long Feng and gritted his teeth in frustration.

"Don't think I'm not finished with you," Aang said resentfully before snapping his glider and taking off. As he flew away, Long Feng attempted to shoot him out of the sky, sending sharp pieces of rocks towards him. Annoyed, Aang snapped the glider back into one long beam and swung it behind him, sending an air current towards the rocks and back at Long Feng. With this quick moment of defense from another Long Feng attack, Aang spread out the glider's wings and flew forward towards his friends. Throughout the flight, he watched his friends intently as they continued to fall back from the pagodas towards the courtyard that they had been camped at. Soon after, his friends were backed up into a corner, behind them the vast emptiness of the Patola Mountain Range. Once he realized the severity of the situation, Aang nosedived down towards the ground and landed firmly in front of his weary friends. After he landed, Aang turned his head slightly, looking out of the corner of his eyes back towards his friends.

"Katara, get Suki and Sokka out of here, they are in no condition to battle." Angrily, Katara, Sokka, and Suki all peered at him in anger.

"There's no way we're leaving your side Aang!"

"Yeah!"

"Aang, we won't leave your side! What do you expect us to do, watch helplessly as you face an entire army?!" This time, Aang fully turned towards them and peered desperately towards Katara.

"This is my battle, Katara. Besides, you've said it yourself, 'you'll never turn your back on people who need you.' Look at them Katara, they need you more than I do." Reluctantly, Katara switched her attention from Aang back towards her brother and Suki. Instantly, her eyes fell upon the thick bandages, causing her to wince. She knew very well that both Suki and Sokka were in excruciating pain, and most likely were only numb to it at the moment thanks to the adrenaline running through their bodies. Frustration slowly began to grow, deep within Katara's chest as she looked up towards her brother and shook her head.

"He's right, Sokka. We'll be nothing more than a distraction for him. We need to get you, and Suki out of here, now!" Immediately, both Suki and Sokka looked over towards Katara, their jaws dropped to the floor in shock.

"Bu-, bu-, but, Katara? Why would we-."

"Stop, Sokka. I'm sure she knows what she's doing. Come on, we need to get to Appa." Confused, Sokka furrowed his eyebrows towards Zuko throwing up his hands in frustration. Aang, meanwhile, had taken the initiative to send the soldiers back with sharp gusts of air. This created a small amount of time for Katara to get her friends onto Appa's saddle and reluctantly, leave Aang behind. Katara watched worrisomely as they began to create distance between themselves and the Avatar. Much to everyone's surprise, the army didn't fire a single shot towards the escaping bison, maintaining their focus on the Avatar who was visibly irate.

"How dare you? You all have given in to another person's wants, feeding their greedy mind! All of you have lost your way, allowing money and materialistic things to get in the way of your actual mindset! Look at yourselves, you are about to destroy the ruins of a nation that has already been rid of its people! These people... my people... were innocent! They didn't want to do any harm to any nation, but Sozin had other plans. All of your families must've felt the effects of the war in some way! Look inside yourselves, you are working for a mad man that is only the puppet of a bigger operation! You all are working for Azula and Ozai! Do you really want a continuation of the Hundred Years War?!" The soldiers in front of him began to look at each other quizzically, causing Aang to hitch his breathing. Were they actually going to listen to his words? For once, would these ruthless benders find the light?