27. One True Love

"Happy New Year! Did you sleep well?" Josh kissed Mara on her forehead.

"I still can't get over what happened last night. Why did you do that?" Mara's face was still in disbelief.

"Because I don't want to lie, and I don't want to pretend or hide about us," replied Josh as he kept planting soft kisses on her eyes, nose, and lips.

"Have you heard anything from Jang? What happened after your video aired?" Her brows are crinkled.

Josh shook his head. "Let us not worry about that anymore, okay? What do you want for breakfast?"

Instead of answering, Mara got back under the covers. Josh winked and followed suit.

***

Josh's video got an overwhelming response. Jang's and the management office's telephone kept on getting calls and messages from people and networks wanting to get an interview. But unfortunately, they can't reach Josh since he turned off his phone after they left the hotel last night.

Rich was so happy for the two. What Josh did was admirable. It assured him he values and loves his best friend.

Jang had given an excuse for Josh not to be disturbed for the day. He wants the couple to have the day for themselves. Both Rich and Jang know they want the whole day for themselves because they planned to surprise each other.

***

"Do you remember the first night we were alone at the beach?" asked Josh as they walked on the sand. They went for a walk on the beach.

"Yes, I won't forget everything you told me then. But, unfortunately, I'm feeling sad right now. I don't want to think this is our last night together here. Tomorrow night, Rich and I are flying back to Boston."

Josh just looked her in the eyes. He was quiet, and he could feel his heart beating fast. He pulled Mara towards her and put her right hand above his heart.

"In the past ten or 20 years, I never noticed that I was alone or lonely. I always think that I need to work and obey what everybody tells me to do. I thought I missed most of my relationship goals because I'm not entitled to have any. But you made me realize I missed out on the timing because you're the one destined for me. I failed on previous ones because someone special was coming into my life. I thought I could never find someone to give me this complete happiness. But I guess I was looking for you in my world when you, my destiny, are waiting in your ordinary world."

Mara cries; she can't express her happiness as she listens to what Josh says.

"Mara, this feeling I have for you is real. I want to be the one to protect you from now on. Without you, I can't imagine my world. I love you so much and want to be beside you daily."

Josh brought out the ring from his pocket. His eyes glistened. "Mara, will you marry me?"

Mara answered with unstoppable tears and sobs. What has she done to deserve Josh and his love? Is it for real? She knows that accepting each other will be a journey of loving and learning each other more together. She doesn't want to question things anymore. Whatever lies ahead, they will go through it together.

"Yes, I will marry you! I love you so much, Josh!"

They hugged and kissed each other. The deep love they feel towards each other is more significant than the fears and what-ifs of the future.

As they walk together, hand in hand, Mara keeps on looking at the ring that Josh put on her finger.

"But where is your gift for me?" Josh asked.