16. Wanting to Stay

"Hi Mara, this is Jang. I tried to call Josh, but he wasn't taking the call. So please, tell him to call me asap. Thanks!" 

After listening to Jang's voice message, Mara realized it'd been a week since they returned from the Cape. She couldn't ask for more; Josh had never left her since. She can confidently say that this has been her happiest since she came here three years ago. But something was off for the past two days. Josh keeps on turning off his phone whenever a call comes in. And Jang's voice message confirmed her suspicion that Josh was ignoring the calls.

"Hey, Mister! What's going on? Why are you not answering your calls?"

"I don't know. My phone has been on and off lately." Josh shook his head, avoiding Mara's eyes.

Mara darted her vision to Josh's face. "Josh, don't be stubborn. Jang left me a voicemail. He needs to talk to you asap. Please, call him."

When Josh shrugged his shoulders and smiled, Mara immediately dialed Jang's number and made the call herself. "Jang! How are you? Here is Josh!" Without giving Josh a chance to decline, she placed her phone in his hand.

Jang took a deep breath, hearing Mara's voice. "Josh!"

"뭐야?"
(What's up?) replied Josh.

Jang softly spoke as he informed Josh about their flight.
"우리는 정말로 다시 돌아 가야합니다. 최근 3 일 안에 있어야합니다.
(We need to fly back in 3 days at the latest)
나는 당신의 일정에 대해 거래를 했어요."
(I bargained a deal for your schedule.)

Josh sighed aloud.
"어때요?
(How is it?)
오늘 여기로 와서 그것에 대해 논의합시다."
(Come here today and let us discuss it.)

After several nods and multiple okays, Josh quietly hung up the call. He watched Mara as she worked in the kitchen. He knows what his heart wants. But he also knows that the longer he ignores his work will not help the situation. But he can't leave Mara.

"Jang is joining us for lunch. He is on his way." Josh whispered as he hugged her from behind.

Mara then turned around and faced him. "Okay! Let me prepare the table."

When Jang arrived, the helplessness in Josh's eyes didn't slip from his vision when he opened the door for him. They both know they have no choice but to fly back soon.

He whispered to Josh as he entered the apartment.
"그녀에게 당신의 일에 대해 말했습니까?
(Have you told her about your work?)
정말 가야 해요. 따라서 거기에서 일정을 조정할 수 있습니다.
(We have to go so that you can adjust your schedule there.)

Josh nodded. He asked Jang to discuss the schedule he needs to work on once he returns to Korea. He promised Jang that he would talk to Mara in the evening and discuss his plans with her.

"The table is ready, guys!" Mara excitedly called them from the dining area.

It was the quietest they had been since they met almost two weeks ago. Nobody talked during the meal.

Mara couldn't stand the silence and started the conversation. "Is my cooking that bad? It made both of you speechless."

Josh gave Mara a half smile and squeezed her thigh under the dining table.

"Of course not! The food is delicious! We are speechless because we are in awe of your cooking!" Jang shook his head.

Mara laughed, seeing how Jang almost choked. "I'm just kidding! Have you guys discussed what you need to discuss? When is your flight back?"