11. Getting to Know

"Guys, I have a call. Let me jake this call," said Mara, leaving the guys behind. 

As soon as Mara left, Rich shared his thoughts with Josh and Jang.
"I want her to be happy again. I ain't wasted, guys. And I'm just pretending to be when she is around so I can make her laugh. She has been through so much!"

"If you don't mind me asking Rich what is it about her getting dumped on national tv?" asked Jang.

Rich looked them both in the eyes and answered.
"Just so you know, guys, we were three best friends in college. Myself, Mara, and Marc- Mara's ex. He was supposed to become a pilot while Mara and I were studying foreign service to be flight stewards/flight attendants. They became a couple for 5yrs and got engaged in their 6th-7th year in the relationship. But before we could all work, a news team scouted Marc to be a news anchor/tv host. Mara was so supportive of him. I became a steward, and she instead worked as his assistant/writer. It was helpful for them at first. They get to work together and spend time together. But you know when a person's success gets over his head, it results in no good. After she got proposed, Marc's network got him a different assistant/writer. Marc earned an offer from a good network in Boston. And he told Mara that after he finishes his contract in Manila, they will move to Boston together. Her apartment was supposed to be their home after the wedding."

"Then what happened?" Josh's curiosity got stronger.

Rich continued. "He asked Mara to resign from her job. And told her to come to the US a month ahead of him. Everyone back there knows they are already engaged. He asked her to fly on Dec 31, but her flight got canceled and rescheduled for another week. He told her he had accepted the job offer and that she needed to come to an interview for a job he had found. Do you know what that asshole did? On New Year's eve, when he was hosting the countdown on national tv before the clock struck 12MN, he proposed to a model, and they announced they were 3mos pregnant. That means he was fooling her all along!"

Jang can't believe what he just heard. "That is so sad. Is that why she came here?"

"Yes, it traumatized her. Overnight, she got bashed online and even on tv and radio. But, for all we know, it was also that asshole's doing like to counter her in advance. That is what I believed. That asshole wasn't satisfied with what he did that night; he sent a message to all their common friends and relatives saying that Mara had found another guy ahead of him and she was running away to the US. And that the model gave him a new hope to move on." Rich said in an angry voice.

"That is so below..." Josh reacted.

Rich tore up. "Nobody was concerned for her except me coz I know the truth. That is why I got her on a plane three days after and have her come here. She was a mess and didn't want to see anyone. She was more devastated."

"I can just imagine how devastating that was for her." Jang sighed.

"I understand now why she said she connected," said Josh.

Rich called Mara. "Girlfriend, where are you? I am calling it a night. I'm so sleepy now! Okay, don't stay too late at the beach. Goodnight! Guys, Mara wants to stay at the beach for a few more minutes. I will go to my cottage now. Just leave the stuff there. Someone will clean tomorrow. Goodnight, guys!"

"Me too; I feel sleepy now, Josh." Jang left too.

Josh started picking up the beer cans.
"I will just put these on the side and sleep as well, Jang."