Chapter Forty

The first night in Hogwarts was unexpected to say the least, the entire night felt like a daze not being able to properly focus on anything. I rushed into the great hall and snuck inside trying my best to sit down unnoticed as it looked like Dumbledore was introducing a few new teachers who were to fill in while our old ones were away. I slowly took a seat at the end of the table my head held down trying to avoid eye contact with any of the teachers which turned out unsuccessful as Snape shot me a nasty scowl from across the hall. I glanced up across the table to see Draco mumbling to a few of his friends before I made myself known.

I tried my hardest to avoid looking at him which proved to be very difficult as half way through the talk I saw him glance under the table then back at me with a smug expression, I looked down at my leg to see it violently shaking under the table. I covered my face with embarrassment while grabbing hold of it to stop which failed miserably.

As the gathering came to an end I was sure to be the first out wanting so badly to go to bed and sleep it all off, I picked up my brief case and hurried to the stairs but before I had the chance to go down them I heard my name being yelled across the hall.

"Y/n, where have you been?" I closed my eyes and sighed turning around to see Hermione, Harry and all of the Weasley brothers approaching me. I gave them a fake smile and stopped hesitant to see them.

"Oh I just forgot something on the train" I said laughing it off hoping I in no way came across suspicious, I was relieved to see them all laugh with me but just as I turned to leave I heard another voice.

"What did you forget Ceradwin?" I froze knowing exactly who it was letting out a deep breath, I looked behind me seeing Draco and a few friends walk by coming to a sudden halt as he overheard my conversation with Hermione.

"Erm" I looked down trying to come up with some sort of excuse to what I might have forgotten, "my, my scarf" I said while shooting angry stares at him.

"Thats weird, I could have sworn you had that on when I saw you" I could tell he enjoyed watching me be flustered as he had this pretentious smirk on his face the more awkward I got.

"Must have saw the wrong person then Draco, anyhow I bid you all goodnight" I turned around and rushed down the stairs getting second-hand embarrassment to what I just said.

I threw my brief case on the floor and jumped into bed pulling the duvet over my head, I laid there kicking myself for how stupid I must have come across. I couldn't understand why he was so determined to embarrass me, eventually I managed fall asleep luckily without the events of before replaying in my head.

I woke up the next morning eager to get back into my routine, I got up ang got changed grabbing the books I needed for that day and headed down past the common room making my way to the great hall but just as I came rushing out the door I bumped into a group of people gathered around in a circle.

I heard the faint sound of an argument brewing, my first reaction being to ignore it and squash past not wanting to get involved but the more I listened in the more I wanted to stay. Since I first presumed this argument to be just between a few first years the more I listened the more I heard what sounded like Snape.

"You dare talk to me that way Miss Black" I heard the crowd gasp making me curious to who Miss Black was, I propped my head up trying to look over everyones heads but Neville was blocking my sight. I shoved my way through the students and peered under someones arm to get a closer look.

"I'll talk to you how I'd talk to anyone else. You dont deserve special treatment" She said with her back facing the crowd, she seemed to have on a green robe and short brown hair. I couldn't help but laugh as I watched Snapes eyes fill with rage.

"My office. Immediately." He shouted finger pointing in my direction giving me the fright if my life, I watched as she sighed and rolled her eyes pushing her way through the crowd though before she left to turn the corner she bowed making everyone burst into applause.

I quickly fled before Snape had the chance to catch me in the crowd of people and headed down for breakfast, I only managed to pick up an apple before the bell rang for first lesson. Great, so much for being early. I finally reached Charm class and took a seat next to Hermione tossing my book onto the table and taking a bite out of my apple.

"That girl, who was she?" I asked her since knowing out of all people Hermione would be the one to know, which to no surprise she did.

"Who was arguing with Snape this morning? Isabella Black, transferred from Durmstrang Institute" I gasped, Durmstrang Institute was a Dark Arts school, known to be one of the most feared school in Europe. Ive heard tales about the school but never would have thought someone would ever transfer over from there.

"Have you spoken to her at all?" I asked wanting to know more about her since I knew she was not only in my year but also in my house.

"Yes actually, I crossed her in the hallway and greeted her with a good morning though I dont think she was too fond of it since she kind of just stared at me" I laughed and pushed her knowing that she cant help but be to friendly to people who probably arent used to it.

She clearly isnt the warmest of people, I'm probably best just avoiding her. At least thats what I thought was going to happen but my plans were quickly crushed as the bell rang and I headed out for next lesson.

I for some reason was in a hurry and managed to bump into someone making them drop their books, I didn't recognise them at all but by the expression on their face they weren't too happy. I apologised and crouched down picking up her books handing them back to her with a slight smile in which all I received back was a blank expression

"I'm Y/n Ceradwin by the way" I stood expecting an answer back but instead was just greeted with silence, after what felt like forever, she finally introduced herself coming across as quite a difficult task for her.

"Isabella Black, look as much as I'd love to stay and chitchat I have a detention I'd much rather be at" She gave me an awkward smile and headed off in the opposite direction to where she was supposedly going. I looked up at the ceiling and let out a deep breath trying my hardest not to scream in frustration.

As I approached second lesson, we was told by Mrs McGonagall that there was an urgent meeting that all 6th years needed to attend immediately, presuming it was just something to do with exams I followed on but as I looked around I saw that people looked a lot more panicked than usual.

Apparently, word got around that a student has died abruptly due to some involvement with You Know Who and his death eaters who coincidently all managed to break out of Azkaban at the same time. I asked around, but no one had an idea who it was that was murdered, I sat down at my house table which was getting eyed by the rest of the houses since Slytherin obviously hasnt the best reputation with dark witches and wizards.

The entire hall fell silent when Dumbledore took to the stand with his head held down taking a few minutes to prepare himself to break the dreaded news to the students.

"As you may know there was a cruel attack on one of our most beloved students leading inevitably to her death, we have spoken to her parents and asked if they were okay with us telling you this information in which they very kindly agreed. So now if we can all bow our heads in honour of Genevieve Ferrari"