Chapter 3

The next week goes by in a blur. My dad got home from working on the road the day after the announcement.

        "Hey, princess," he said.

        "No. Please don't call me that. I don't want to be a princess," I protested and he gave me a confused look.

        "But that's what I always call you," he had said and I sighed forgetting the nickname.

        "Right."

        "What do you mean you don't want to be a princess?" he asked. I just stared at him.

        "She's going to England," Emory said from behind me.

        "What? Why?" he asked.

        "Cam's going to England to compete for Prince Daxton's heart. Gosh, dad, keep up," Emory sighed. He stared at me confused until he remembered the selection.

        "You were chosen?" he asked, shocked.

        "Don't be so surprised! I am actually kind of pretty," I said.

        "Yeah, but your mom said that you went in sweats. How did you get chosen wearing those?" he laughed.

        "They must think I have beautiful inner beauty," I huffed and locked myself in my room.

        There are fans and reporters standing on my lawn and driveway. Every time I go outside I'm blinded by the flashes of camera's. But the worst is school. Before I was selected I had maybe one person who I considered a friend but we barely talked. Now, people who bullied me and told me I was nothing want to be my best friend.

        Today is the day before I"m supposed to leave for England. My nerves are bundled up and I feel like I'm going to burst with nervousness. I sit in my room trying to read a book but every little noise distracts me. The noise from the front yard is the loudest. I'm tempted to grab my dads gun and fire it at all of them to get them to shut up. I try and turn my focus back to my book but a knock at the door makes me give up hope.

        "I got it," I hear Emory yell. She opens the door and the noise from outside is even louder. I barely hear the person at the door.

        "Does Miss Camry Kingsom live at this residence?" someone with a british accent asks.

        "Yes," Emory answers slowly. I get up and peek my head out my door to see the front door.

        A man, maybe in his late 20's, is at the door. He has black hair that is combed back and dark green eye's. He stands as if there's a rod on his back forcing him to stand straight. His eye's settle on me.

        "Are you Camry Kingsom?" he asks.

        "If I said no, what would you do?" I test him.

        "Are you or are you not?" he asks again.

        "Yes, I just might be Camry Kingsom," I say with a phony British accent.

        "Wonderful, may I come in?" he asks.

        Before I can make another smart comment, my mother rushes in the room.

        "Yes, you may come in," she says and I give her a shocked look.

        "He could be a murderer for all we know and you're going to let him in our house?" I ask.

        "Camry, does he look like a murderer?" my mom asks and  I sigh.

        Out of the corner of my eye, I can see the man smirking.

        "Who are you?" I question.

        "I am James Peters. I work for his royal highness," James says.

       "Okay, why are you here?" I wonder.

        "You are one of the selected, are you not?" he asks.

        "Yes, she is," my mother answers for me.

        "Then I have to go over the rules with you and I need you to answer some questions," he explains.

        "Why don't we come in the living room?" my mom suggest and we follow her into our cramped living room. James sits on the love seat and my mother, myself, and Emory sit on the couch.

        He first goes over the rules. Most of them are about your relationship with the prince. You shall not have any other relationships besides the one with the prince. You shall do everything you can to please the prince. You shall not turn him down for anything. I had to stop James on that one.

        "Wait, hold up. You mean anything?" I emphasize the word. James looks at me very seriously, almost sadly.

        "Yes, anything," he sighs and a look of disgust crosses my face.

        My mom, knowing I'm about to say something I'll regret, motions for him to continue. The rest of the rules are like no fighting with the other girls, do not disrespect the royals, stuff like that. Finally he gets to the questions, which are even worse than the rules.

        "Are you pure?" he asks.

        "Come again?" I say.

        "Are you a virgin?" he rephrases.

        "Yes," I say through clenched teeth.

        "Do you have any diseases?"

        "Besides sarcasm?" I hear Emory mutter.

        "Not that I know of," I answer. The list goes on and on and on. When he finally goes to leave, its dark.

        "Um, Miss Camry," he says,  "a word."

        Reluctantly, I follow him to the door.

        "What?" I demand.

        "About the 'anything' rule," he starts and my cheeks go red.

        "Yes?"

        "The prince...well he isn't like that. He wouldn't ever do that," James tries to explain.

        "Oh yeah, okay. And how would you know that? Are you and the prince besties?"

        "Well, yes but we're also cousins," he says and I stare at him, shocked.

        "So yes, you can trust me when I say he would never do that," he says sincerly.

        "Thanks, James," I smile.

        "I'll see you tomorrow," he says and leaves without another word.

What did you guys think of James? And sorry this chapter was so long, it just needed to put a lot in it. Vote and Comment!! Thanks!!