Chapter 24

After breakfast, I go straight back to my room to play with Princess. As I open the door, I find her on my bed tearing through my pillows.

"Princess," I wail and she freezes.

Feathers are strewn across my bed and on the floor. Princess immediately goes make to chewing on the pillows.

"No, bad dog," I say as I walk over and pick her up by the scruff of her neck. She wimpers as I lock her in her kennel. I put the kennel in the bathroom and close the door.

"How am I going to clean up this mess?" I wonder aloud as there's a knock on the door. Crap.

"Who-who is it?" I call.

There's no answer. I go over to the door and crack it open. Outside is Alexa, James, and Daxton. I offer them a weak smile.

"Is something wrong?" Daxton asks.

I glance behind me at the mess of my room.

"Uh, just...come in," I open the door a little bit more them and they slip inside.

"Camry, did you get mad at your pillows," James chuckles.

"No, my maids left Princess out and she chewed through all of my pillows. How am I going to clean this up?" I ask.

"You live in a palace with maids and servants to do your bidding and you're wondering how you're going to clean this up?" Daxton says.

"Fine I'll call my maids. They were supposed to be watching Princess anyways," I say as I ring the bell that calls my maids.

A minute later, they show up. Their faces go from worried to shocked.

"What on earth happened?" Cecily asks.

"Princess. She was left out and she started chewing on my pillows. How did she even get on the bed?" I ask them.

"We were going to get something and we were only going to be gone for a second so I put her on the bed," Courtney says and hangs her head.

"It's fine but I'm going to need new pillows," I say as they start cleaning. I try to help them but they protest until I stop.

"Why are you guys here anyway?" I wonder.

"We came to get you," Alexa says.

"Why?"

"We're going to have some fun," James says.

"Last time you said that, we got into a food fight," I say.

"Just come on," Daxton grabs my hand and all four of us leave my room.

James bounds up the staircase that leads to the fourth floor.

"What are we doing?" Alexa wonders.

"We are going to play hide-and-seek chase on this floor," James says.

"But it's huge. We could miss lunch," I complain.

"We'll hide in pairs, or at least close to each other. Daxton, you're with Camry. Alexa, you're with me," James says.

"We'll count first," Alexa says.

"This is stupid," I groan.

"Let's just go hide," Daxton says and pulls me along.

"We'll count for one minute," James calls after us.

"I know the perfect place to hide," Daxton starts running, pulling me after him.

We take a sharp right and then another right and then a left and then pulls back a curtain, opens a door that's behind the curtain and pulls me through it. We're immersed in darkness.