Chapter 25

I take dinner in my room. When my maids ask what's wrong, I just tell them I don't feel good. And that's only half a lie. Ever since I heard Daxton telling Alexa she's eliminated, I feel depressed. Who wouldn't be? I'll probably never see Alexa again and she wasn't even allowed to say goodbye. 

        "Miss," Cecily says.

        "Yes?"

        "You're going to have to go down to breakfast tomorrow. We can't allow you to stay in your room," she says.

        I nod and they leave me to go to sleep. But sleep never finds me. I worry all night about going down there and facing Daxton. I don't exactly know how I feel right now. I'm mad at him, definitely, for sending Alexa home but I'm also hurt that he wouldn't confide in me for her elimination. He's lied about not sending Alexa home, what if he's lied about other things, too? Like the way he feels about me. What if it's all fake and he really doesn't like me at all. He'll send me home, too. I don't think I can live without the palace. It's my home.

         I worry myself so much I feel sick. I get up and try to make it to a trashcan or the toilet. I make it to the bathroom and then puke all over the tiled floor. In the process of doing this, I've woken Princecss up. Wonderful. I ring the bell my maids gave me and a couple minutes later, they arrive in my room.

        "Miss, what is it?" Cecily asks.

        "I may or may not have puked in the bathroom floor," I tell them sheepishly.

        "Oh miss, it's fine. We'll clean it up; you get back in bed and Josee will get you some water. And you cannot have any social interaction with the others. They can come in your room if you'd like but you musn't leave your room. Courtney, check and see if she has a fever," Cecily instructs. Courtney comes over and feels my forehead.

        "She feels a little warm. Probably 99.9 to 100.0," Courtney reports.

        "What about Princess?" I wonder.

        "Dogs don't get sick the same way people do," Cecily explains.

        "Okay, bring her to me," I command.

        Josee quickly brings me my dog. I lie on my side and hug her to my chest.

        "Ladies, what time is it?" I wonder.

        "Around 2:00 a.m., miss," Courtney says.

        "Oh," I say as I start to shiver.

        I pull my blankets up on my but the shivering doesn't stop.

        "Miss, are you cold?" Josee asks.

        "I'm n-not sure. I c-can't stop shivering," I say.

        Cecily sits down close to my and strokes my hair.

        "Shh, miss, it's okay," she soothes and starts humming a lullaby.        

        I feel my eye's start to drift close and slowy, slowly I go to sleep.

******************

        When I wake up, the sun is high in the sky.

        "What time is it?" I groan.

        "12:00, miss," Cecily says from somewhere in the room.

        "Close the curtains," I mumble.