Chapter 4

I didn't sleep at all last night, thanks to my nerves. But it made it easier to get up this morning. I slowly get out of bed, savoring the feel of it. I walk over to my closet and pull out my small blue duffle bag. I was supposed to pack last night but James and his questions exhausted me. Going to my drawer, I pull out my three favorite pair of sweatpants and my three favorite shirts to go with them. After stuffing those in my bag, I grab a picture of my family. It was last year when we went on vacation to the beach. The wind was blowing so my hair was plastered to my face. Finally, I grab three of my favorite books and put them in the bag.

        The royal family told each of the girls to wear black pants and a white shirt. I riffle through my drawers and find my black yoga pants and a white t-shirt. I pull my hair into a side braid and dab on a little make-up. Once I finish, I find my favorite pair of black flats and pull them one. Finally finished, I grab my bag and go into the living room to wait for everyone else.

        I'm supposed to be at the airport by 7:15 in the morning. I glance at the clock. It's 6:45. Just as I'm about to wake everyone, they all come bustling in screaming and making as much noise as possible.

        "We need to wake Camry! She has to get dressed and ready!" my mother screams.

        "Honey, calm down," my father tries to reason with her.

        "We are going to be late! I'm going to wake her," she screeches. She goes in my room and screams.

        "What is it? Is she dead?" my dad asks.

        "Even worse! She ran away! Oh, I know she doesn't want to do this but she has to. She didn't even leave a note," my mother cries. Thanks, mom. I didn't know there were worse things than me dying.

        "Would you both take a chill pill!" Emory yells.

        "Huh?" they both say.

        "She's in the living room," Emory explains.

        My parents come in the living room, where I've been watching them having a panic attack.

        "How ya doin?" I say and my mom scowls at me.

        "Where have you been?" she demands.

        "In here. The whole time. And I didn't know there were worse things than me dying," I say.

        "You need to get dressed," she says.

        "I am dressed. They said black pants and a white shirt. I am meeting their requirments," I state and my mom sighs. 

        "James will be here in two minutes to take us to the airport, we need to go get ready," my mom says and pulls my dad and Emory to the rooms.

        As they're getting ready, there's a knock at the door. I get up from the couch and open it. James stands in the doorway.

        "Miss Camry, are you ready?" he asks.

        "I am but I don't think everyone else is," I say and he laughs.

        "Oh so the robot has feelings," I laugh with him.

        "I am not a robot, just a faithful servant of my uncle," he says.

        "So basically a robot," I say to get on his nerves and he shakes his head.

        "What are you wearing?" he asks.

        "Black pants and a white shirt," I smile.

        "You mean yoga pants and a white t-shirt," he laughs.

        "Yeah, well, it's not like the prince is going to see us right when we walk in the palace, right?" I say and he nods.

        "See, it doesn't matter what we wear on the way there," I say.

        "Yes but the other girls will see you."

        "But I don't care what they think," I smirk as the rest of my family comes out.

        "Oh, James, I'm so sorry we were late," my mother says but he brushes it off.

        "It's fine but we need to leave now," he says not unkindly and we rush out to the car.

        "Wait, I need my bag," I say and rush back inside and grab the bag I left on the couch. Taking one last glance at my home, I close the door, quietly saying goodbye.

********

        We are supposed to go to the Atlanta Airport to leave...but that was too far. We barely made it to Augusta Airport on time. James parks the car and we start to get out. But are blocked by people and reporters.

        "Miss Camry, are you excited to go to the palace?"

        "Miss Camry, can I have an auotograph?" a little girl asks and I quickly sign my name. It's like this until we get to the jet.

        "I haven't even gone to the palace yet and people are trying to get my autograph," I sigh.

        "Yes and you have only been known by the royal family for about a month and everyone wants your autograph. I have been known by the royal family for years and no one knows who I am," James huffs.

        "That is not my fault," I say.

        "We need to leave. Now," James says and starts pulling me onto the jet.

        "What about my family?" I say as I jerk my arm back.

        "Fine, but make it quick," he says and I turn back to my family.

        "I love you and I'll see you soon," I whisper as I hug my mom.

        "Don't say that," she mutters.

        "I'll be the first one he sends home," I laugh and my dad shakes his head.

        "If he sends you home, princess, then he doesn't know what he's missing," he says and I laugh.

        "I love you. Take care of mom and dad," I whisper to Emory.

        "I will," she whispers back.

        "Don't let them go crazy," I say and she starts laughing.

        "Miss Camry, we need to leave now," James says and starts to pull me again. I jerk my arm back and glare up at him.

        "I can walk on my own," I snap and he laughs. I quickly make my way onto the jet and gasp.

        There are plush beige couches off to one side. On the other is a beige rocking chair. Right in front of me is a dinette. Further back, I can make out a door to a bathroom room and what looks like a storage room. I sit down on the side that's closest to my family.

        After putting my bag beside me, I turn and look at them through the window. My mother looks so happy for me, her face light up like a Christmas tree. My dad looks sad that I'm leaving but happy for me. Emory's the worst. Her smile isn't happy or sad, it's pitying. She knows I don't want to go and feels bad for me. I feel a burning behind my eye's and one tear escapes. I quickly brush it away as I watch my family shrink to the size of a dot.