↬ | chapter twenty

020.

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

   Just when Maggie thought she was trying to prove herself as a gunner, she was faced with something even more ridiculous, testing her knowledge and overall ability. Now, she needed to pull some shit out of her ass in hopes of saving a kid's life in the process.

   Pulling arrows seemed like a simple medical case as Gray's first one, but during her time on the ground, she had learned that there were many more factors than what initially met the eye. The arrow could be poisoned, or it could hit something important, or the arrowhead could hit something as it exited his body. As far as Magnolia was concerned, it didn't seem like anything of the sort— yet. The boy was a surprisingly still coherent, after spending who-knows-how-many-hours in the woods on his own. 

   Bellamy and Jasper had placed Myles on a table— the same one as when Finn was treated from his poisonous stab.

   Could they really not find anyone else to attempt this? Not some kind of medical trainee, or even Bellamy? Raven? Any of them?

   Someone had to, so why not let it be the Gray girl? Ah, what the hell!

   "You have some of— uh—" Maggie began to inquire before noticing Jasper eyeing her. "Monty's moonshine?" she finished, feeling guilty for bringing his name up in front of his best friend. She believed the three of them were all alive, but only because of the sole fact that she hadn't first-handedly seen otherwise. 

   "Yeah, here," Octavia handed her tent-mate a bottle as the others left the room. Each of them sanitized their hands, removing any grime that could lead to infection in the teenager's wounds.

   Magnolia's eyes met her friend's. "You're helping?"

   "Of course," the girl responded, as if the answer was blatantly obvious and Maggie was stupid for asking in the first place. "Now, I have no clue what I'm doing— but uh, moral support?"

   "Myles—" Maggie turned to the injured boy, who noticeably had his teeth clenched. He let out a huff in reply. Now the doctor act begun. "We're gonna get you fixed up, alright?"

   "Good. That's— good," he seethed through discomfort. It was a wonder he hadn't lost consciousness. 

   What the hell was she supposed to do now?

   "This is gonna hurt— you want something to bite down on?" the girl proposed, knowing that that was she did with Finn and it appeared to have helped him through the procedure. 

   His head shook weakly, his temples coated with beads of sweat. "Can one of you guys just talk to me; to distract me?"

   "I can do that," Octavia assured him, wiping strands of caramel-colored haired from his forehead. Like she had told him, the girl began to speak to Myles, and he seemed partially-infatuated for the time being. That was helpful. Maggie wasn't afraid of pulling out the arrows themselves, but she was worried of the consequences if she did it wrong. She didn't want to kill the kid. 

   How was she supposed to go about this? No warning was probably better; that's what Magnolia would request if she were in his scenario. But beforehand, she grabbed clean cloths— Monty's moonshine and some water removed most of the bacteria. Placing her hands firmly around the thin arrow, she heaved in a breath, mentally counting to three.

   With a huff, she pulled out the arrow from his chest hurriedly, and he let out a groan at the pain. Blood pooled around the now-exposed wound, and Maggie placed the fabric over it with pressure being applied. "Tavia— mind handing me that suture needle?"