↬ | chapter six

006.

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

   Maggie sat at the foot of Wells's grave, mindlessly picking at the grass and ripping it out of the dirt. The two never got close— it wasn't like they really had the opportunity to do so, but the girl couldn't help but feel a tinge of regret. He seemed to be a genuinely kind-hearted person, putting everyone's needs into consideration with his actions. It was a shame that people were too quick to judge him based on his father's actions. You can't choose your parents, and Magnolia was one of the top examples of that, even though nobody knew anything about her background apart from Raven. 

   A small scream from a few yards over, close to the gate, made her stand to her feet rather fast. With a quick hustle, she found only Jasper and Octavia talking with one another. 

   "Jasper, come on! There's nothing to be afraid of!" the younger Blake sibling reasoned before the boy tripped on a tree root flat on his face. 

   "Hey, you good?" Maggie rushed over to his aid, but the boy didn't seem concerned about his fall. He gazed in front of him, and both of the girl's took a brief second to determine what it was. 

   When a knife, along with two ebony-colored human fingers were laying on the grass, all of their jaws collectively dropped. "Wells." Magnolia murmured under her breath; they had to be his. 

   The three discreetly brought the findings into one of the tents, ordering for Clarke and Bellamy to join them. All five of them stood there in silence, trying to make sense of this chaos. 

   Clarke picked up the weapon hesitatingly. "This knife was made from metal on the dropship."

   Maggie gulped— that had confirmed her suspicions. It was almost obvious that it was handmade with the way the metal was bent and carved. "What do you mean?" Jasper asked, although most of them were able to put the pieces together. 

   "Who else knows about this?" Bellamy butted in, changing the subject as his arms crossed across his chest. 

   Octavia looked up at her brother. "No one— just Jasper, Maggie, and I. We brought it straight here."

   "Clarke?" Jasper repeated, wanting the girl to answer. 

   "It means the Grounders didn't kill Wells. It was one of us," Clarke's teeth gritted, and Magnolia nodded knowingly. Grounders didn't use small knives from drop ships. They used spears and swords.

   "So there's a murderer in the camp?" Jasper inquired, but this wasn't really crazy information to the girl. Maggie knew that things would become chaotic if there weren't any rules set down. 

   Bellamy peered over to Magnolia. "There's more than one murderer in this camp. This isn't news. We need to keep it quiet."

   Clarke raced to the opening of the tent, only to be blocked by Bellamy— it was almost as if he knew she was going to do just that. "Get out of my way Bellamy."

   "Be smart about this. Look at what we've achieved. The walls, the patrols," Bellamy analyzed, "Like it or not, thinking the grounders killed Wells is good for us."

   "Oh good for you, you mean," Clarke scoffed. "What? Keep people afraid, and they'll work for you? Is that it?"

   "Yeah that's it," Bellamy confirmed, raising an eyebrow. "But it's good for all of us. Fear of the grounders is building that wall. And besides— what are you gonna do? Just walk out there and ask the killer to step forward? You don't even know who's knife that is."