↬ | chapter twenty two

022.

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

     Magnolia felt refreshed after her night's rest. Waking up with Bellamy's arms loosely wrapped around her torso and her head so close to his chest to the point where she could hear his heart beating made her feel comforted and safe.

     It had been challenging at first, for the undeniable dread of someone discovering them made her eyes stay fixated on the slightly-opened door, until Bellamy finally convinced her that she'd be safe as long as he was laying beside her. Hearing that statement alone made her let her guard down for the evening, and her eyes fell shut after god-knows-how-many-hours.

     Even waking up was ideal— Vincent was able to muster up a small meal for all of them, which was yet another one of his unneeded acts of generosity that they, nevertheless, appreciated. Since their...uneasy... introduction, the man's outlook had changed greatly on the situation. 

     "Lovejoy's keycard will get you in the armory," Maya explained as the three swiftly meandered through the halls, dodging the occasional pedestrian, "The guns are locked, but the guard has the key. I can lure him away if—"

     "No," Maggie interjected in a bigger-sister-like tone, cutting the girl short, "We're not getting you more involved in this than you already are."

     "Besides which," Bellamy added on, "There's no time. Once I get the guns, how do we get them to level 5? They're watching every door."

     "Maybe not. The mess hall has a trash chute," the Vie girl replied, coming up with a viable solution. "There's one on every level. Best part— no radiation alarms. The hatches leak like crazy, so they put in air locks to be safe. You get the guns, I can get them to the mess hall."

     A grin spread across Bellamy's face in gratitude. "You're a natural-born revolutionary."

     "My mom was a revolutionary," she countered, gaze alert, "I'm just trying to do what's right."

     Slightly nodding at the statement, the Blake commanded her, "Meet back here in 30 minutes."

     "Maya," Magnolia suddenly placed a hand on her shoulder before she had gotten the chance to wander off. Eyebrows raised, Maya waited for what the girl had to tell her. And unable to find the correct words she wanted to say in that given moment, the eighteen-year-old pulled her friend into an embrace. "Just.... thank you."

     "Go— before you get caught," she forced her lips into a smile when pulling away, knowing that every step they got closer to freeing the forty-something, the less opportunities she had around those Sky People that had caved a narrow path into her huge heart. More specifically, Jasper and Maggie.

     Jogging up to her partner in crime, the girl glanced around haphazardly; walking around in the open in their disguises was still something she hadn't become fully acquainted with. It only popped up in her mind when she overthought, leading Gray to do what anyone would offer as advice: Don't overthink.

     In her ear, a fuzzy, muffled voice practically made Maggie stop dead in her tracks. "Do you hear that in yours?" she asked her boyfriend, who gave nothing but a furrowed brow in response, which showed he was trying to figure out the puzzle as well. Adjusting the dial on her remote, the voice became clear as crystal— Cage. She recognized that from a mile away by that point, for his distinct and foreboding tone suggested that he was always up to no good.

     "In 20 minutes, your friend will either suffocate, or burn," Maggie and Bellamy caught the tail end of Cage's egotistical monologue, but it was enough to make the duo snap right into action. Words didn't even have to be spoken between the two— they spun on their heels while attempting to keep their cool.