↬ | chapter thirteen

013.

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

   Real shocker, Maggie found herself chasing after Bellamy like a lost puppy a few minutes following his little temper tantrum. She could completely understand why he was frustrated— it was a nerve-racking countdown, awaiting the moment where Jaha came down like he owned the place and locked the boy up for his crime. Who could tell what he'd do out there; for all she knew, he could attempt to run off right then and there. 

   She made her way through trees as the sky darkened, the vivid and saturated colors not being present because of the day's cloudiness. Magnolia wouldn't admit it to just anyone, but she had come to love the hues of yellow, orange, and pink that would hit in the middle of the day. It was utterly beautiful on the days she was lucky enough to witness it, not having the tops of trees blocking her view. 

   A tree root protruded largely out of the ground, and the brunette girl clumsily tripped over it, landing in the dirt and fallen, crunchy leaves. It wasn't like her to do so, but her mind was starting to whirr unknowingly to the point where she was completely unaware of what was going on around her. 

   As Maggie knelt on the ground, she brushed her hands against one another, getting anything that she could off of them. Her vision was blurry; the trees around her were swirling around and not sticking straight up. She hadn't hit her head though— what happened? But when she looked up, two familiar figures stood about seven feet away. 

   "Wha-no," Maggie muttered to herself before rubbing her eyes in panic. It wasn't real— was it? It couldn't be. 

   "What's wrong baby?" the deep voice of Mr. Gray cooed as they inched closer, to the point where the two were standing just in front of Maggie. "You're okay now, you got that? We're here, and we want you safe."

   "You've been through hell and back being down here on your own, haven't you?" Ella added, in the tone of what Maggie assumed was what a loving mother's voice sounded like. It wasn't her mother, though. At least how she had remembered her anyway— had she really changed that much in the past three or so years?

   "You guys aren't here," Magnolia shut down whatever that was with a shake of her head. Instead of them going away, or whipping her with an electrical cord, their glances remained full of empathy. "Why aren't you acting like assholes— like you're supposed to?"

   "Sweetheart, of course we're here," her father, Aaron, answered. "We love you, and we haven't seen you in forever."

   "Y-you guys are wrong. You hate me," Maggie denied, backing away from the two now that she was on her feet; however, they only followed as she moved. "You both fucked with me, and you took my childhood away! I never got to be a normal kid because of you!"

   She had braced herself for the worst at that point; she was basically digging up her own grave and allowing her parents to have at it. When she was met with only sympathetic glances, it made Magnolia bewildered. Was she remembering the same people; or were her parents different?

   All she wanted for her entire life was to live in a home where her parents loved her; hell, even liked her. Just a little bit. Every time she witnessed something along those lines between two people, her heart would tighten and twist into uncomfortable knots. Maggie was a jealous girl— she longed for someone to care about her like that. And now, her parents were being that way. Gray wasn't taking advantage of it— she was being stubborn, automatically assuming the worst.