To Jannah

She didn't understand how time flew so fast.
They were already approaching the end of their weekend together.

The newly wedded husband and wife were seated in the rustic coffee shop she had had her eyes on, enjoying their private company with some steaming beverages. Unlike Ayaan who favoured the regular black, Sidra preferred hers a little bitter with extra cream.
Over the two days they'd spent together, they'd learnt some things about their spouses. Ayaan did not like messes, which Sidra was glad about. Sidra preferred to sit on the prayer mat till Fajr after offering her Tahajjud. Ayaan revised mentally his lessons every chance he got and Sidra loved his concentration. It wasn't only those. They'd learnt little actions that annoyed their spouse like shaking the leg for Sidra and leaving the food open for Ayaan. There had been disagreements as they fully expected. But communication that arrived with comprehension saved the day at last.

"Nolan would like to meet you," she told him.
"In Sha Allah. What time do you get off tomorrow?"
"At two. You're coming to pick me?" she asked hopefully.
He smirked at her "Do you want me to?"
"Hmm....let me think about it."
"Oh....I may not be able to. I gotta pick up my wife."
"How sweet! I'm sure my husband is coming to pick me too."
"I hope I meet him. He sounds excellent."
"I didn't even tell anything about him."
"Gut instinct."
"Really?" she pinched his thigh making him sit up straight.
"Ouch."

They spent the evening in her parents' home as bonding time. Hamza was a little shy around Ayaan who immediately noticed it and made it his mission to tell him he will always be his friend. Then the boys went to get ice cream for dessert while the women got to making dinner. Things felt different but familiar at the same time.

Come teatime, Sarah came over with her father because of Amanah's insistence.
"Now we're family too, Sarah. You're just as much my daughter as Ayaan is my son."
_______________

She returned to work on Monday with fluttering excitement in her stomach. Her first time appearing in public with her husband was today.

When Ayaan arrived in his college jersey worn unzipped over his brown tee and his backpack thrown over one shoulder, her heart rose high above the clouds due to the college boy/ handsome nerd air he exuded. She tried her best not to start grinning like an idiot. Then in her trademark fashion, she walked towards him.
But someone else beat her to it.

Nolan was all smiles and wishes when he met Ayaan. He greeted Ayaan formally and spoke to him respectfully. He wasn't overly bubbly lest Ayaan dislike him, but after he cajoled the couple into having tea with him sometime, they seemed to become friends.
If anything, Nolan matched Ayaan's chaotically nice personality.

"Where to?" she asked once Nolan bid them farewell.
"Not an actual surprise. Just walk with me," he held out a hand that she accepted instantly.

Hand in hand they walked down the busy streets of Crest Falls, window shopping in the boutiques and trying new and strange street food. Ayaan stopped at a flower vendor to buy her a bouquet of daisies.
"Because roses are overrated," he told clasping her hand in his. "You're like a daisy. Simple to some. Beautiful to those who recognise pure forms of beauty."

"I love you, Hayati," she whispered.
Her confession made him stop. When he looked at her, she smiled at him, "I'm trying really hard to beat your romance, husband. So this is my first move. One up this if you can."

"Oh I will. And I love you more."

"Not sufficient," she swung her entwined hand to and fro, "do me better."

They started moving again.
_____________

When she got ready for bed that night after talking to him over the phone, she lay wide awake looking at the ceiling.