When your observations catch up

Ends are so sweet when beautiful beginings are smiling at you from the curve in the corner.

Snowfall grew progressively stronger over the weeks until on the last day of library before the Christmas break, the world was blanketed in a strange white spread like an elite fur ensemble. Twilight fell soon on those days, severely restricting Hamza's outdoor times; which wasn't much in the first place with Jameel always telling him to stay out of the snow and Amanah only managing to let him play a little while before mother and son fled from the father with wild laughs. On a particularly loud evening with Amanah grinning from behind her husband and Hamza hurriedly stripping off the drenched snow clothes, Sidra amusedly watched the scene unfold and made a quiet decision to arrange an entertainment for her brother which her father wouldn't pretend to oppose.

Thus, Tuesday evening, Hamza skipped along, in a matching blue parka with his sister; the fur lining of the hoods framing their faces.
He was finally getting his own library card, courtesy of Sidra. All the way there, Hamza wouldn't shut up.

So I can pick from absolutely any shelf? (Yes, darling) And I don't have to sit in the kids' area? (Absolutely) And I can take the book home with me? (That's the whole point, silly) Can I meet your work friends? (Sure) Will Musa and Kevin be there? (I guess so)
He slowed down at the large double doors and waited patiently for his sister to hang her parka in the staff closet. Then Sidra guided him to the main desk, paid for his card and led him to the fiction shelf.

Hafsa was lounging in the reading area, immersed in Nineteen Minutes when her friend walked up behind her and said,
"Surprise!"
A startled Hafsa whipped around, coming face to face with Hamza. "Ya Allah, you've grown!"
"Jazakillah khair," he smiled at her before politely inquiring about her baby cousin.

Minutes later, Sidra helped him choose from a shelf, then pulled up a chair for him across from Hafsa. She let him show Hafsa his shiny new library card and excused herself to get herself a book. In the contemporary fiction aisle, she met Ayaan.

"You're early," she commented.

"You too. Your shift doesn't start until three, does it?"

"You know?"

"I've been here for a long time now."

"Yeah."
They picked books in silence.

"Delivered the ventilators yet?" she asked as they descended the stairs.

A beautiful smile lit up his face, "Alhamdulillah, yes. You won't believe how good it felt, Sidra. For once we felt like we had done something worthwhile."

His beautiful smile was also infectious, "I'm so happy to hear that. Must have been one in a million moments."

"It was. It was. I....I just can't put it into words. The boys were more emotional than the girls, though" he gave a short laugh. "My sister had a good laugh at my expense when I Facetimed her."

"That's sweet," she cocked her head, still smiling. "Anyway, your sister that you keep mentioning, when will you introduce us?"

"Unfortunately, it's a long way between Crest Falls and home. Plus I don't have a place for her to stay during her visit, yet."

"You'll get around to it, In Sha Allah," she assured him."

"Thank you for the vote of confidence."

"My pleasure."

They reached the ground floor landing; Ayaan not really knowing why he was going down instead of up - except he was going where Sidra was going. For a second he froze, an unfamiliar feeling fluttering in his stomach.