Camera rolls

Armed with a videocamera, Sarah knocked on the door to her brother's changing room. By his words, he was alone in there; what with Jameel and Mas'ud talking to the Imam and Hamza driven off with Zubayr to collect the food packets.
She knocked again and when he didn't open, tried the handle. The door swung easily.
Cautiously she stepped into the room, showing a shush sign to the camera.

There, on the opposite side of the room, stood her brother by the open window with his back to her. His white shirt hung on a hanger just out of his reach and his cellphone was held carelessly in his hand. She could say he was smiling.

"Ahem. Assalamu alaikum!"

Ayaan turned around without hurry and completely unbothered by the fact that his sister stood in the room while hadn't worn anything over his vest. His right hand was lightly gripping the window sill.
"Wa alaikum-us-salaam," he gave her a big smile. Probably as big as the one he'd given her when they were both sent home from school for beating up a guy who'd catcalled her in a corridor.

"Why didn't you open?"

"Didn't hear," he said, still smiling. Then moved away from the window and towards a chair which he held with a hand.

"You're smiling."

"I'm getting married."

"Did you hear that Sidra? This is how happy he is."

"Oh...you're recording for her?"

"What if I am?"

"You should probably leave the camera and go. I can do it on my own."
Sarah tossed an orange at him which he caught with a pleasant laugh. "Nothing crooked there. She'd already be my wife by the time she sees this."

"May Allah make this happiness increase boy. By the way, why are you always holding onto something or the other?"

"Because I'm so happy and so excited that if I don't hold onto something, I'm going to bounce between the ceiling and floor like an electrified ping-pong ball!"

Sarah laughed so loud, she whipped the camera around to double check if she'd closed the door.
"By the way, Sarah," her brother called her attention back to him, "You look lovely in that dress. I didn't think it'll be so good when you tried it on at home."

The girl's cheeks became rosy. How long ago had she acknowledged her brother's compliment? Years ago. Slowly, they were working at their relationship like they should have done long ago. But they were getting there In Sha Allah. Sidra was her inspiration because of the way she treated Hamza. Their relationship was playful and tight but also respectful to both individuals. Now she strived to reciprocate it with her brother. Maybe she was late. But if you're willing to work hard, you're never too late.

"JazakAllah khair, Sir. So, what are you wearing?"

"As if you don't know."

"Come on, tell it for the record."

"Okay--" Ayaan switched the phone to the hand he was holding the chair with so he could smooth down his pants"-- so I'm wearing these classic black pants from the Asian tailor who has sewn most of my clothes including the first custom onesie I got after birth. And this white shirt, I bought from the Bespoke Gallery next to college. It looks very fancy and well cut and expensive. But trust me it was cheap. And then....--" he looked around for something, his eyes lit up when they looked under the table "-- this shoe is the same one I wear to all the formal events. Black is beauty. And then my socks, I don't know honestly, I think I took it from Papa's drawer some time ago."
Sarah was trying to suppress her giggles so her brother could be heard.