The Tale of Two Worlds

While the last carnival wrapped up in broad daylight, fearing a snowstorm, Sidra sat on the empty stage which was stripped of its recent adornments. A lazy wind blew the occasional confetti across the main area while Sidra stared intently trying to read a poster that was fluttering under a dissembled plinth.
The Fi..nal Grand Carnival. Be...there..to witness..no..
She made a mental note to get her eyes checked.

"Sidra? Sidra?" she heard Musa.

"Yeah?"

"Are you all right?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"I called you four times. Is something wrong?"

"Nope," she waved a dismissive hand at him. "I'm grand. Just thinking."

She realised that neither Josh nor Hafsa were to be seen. "Where are they?"

"Hafsa wanted food. So I sent Josh to keep her company."

"Why didn't you go?"

"May I sit?" he questioned instead of answering. Sidra nodded and moved further away. "Thank you."

She tossed him a coin from her pocket, "A penny for your thought."

He spun it distractedly between his fingers, combing his free hand through his hair. Sidra bit back a smile recognising his tell.
"I wanted to ask you something."

"Fire away," she glanced at the milling crowd then faced him.

Musa was silent, gathering his thoughts. "You don't have to use the perfect words, Musa. I will get your point." Then she took a risk. "Hafsa?"

His eyes widened for a second and he immediately relaxed; because it's The Sidra, Part-time shrink, full time Mom Friend who always guessed correct.
"Yeah. Her. If by any chance, I was to send her a proposal, do you think she would accept?"

"There's no by chance, Musa. You like her, don't you?"

"Yeah. It's been some time," he gave her a troubled glance.

"Just asking, why now? Don't answer if you think this inconsiderate."

"Not a chance. It's like this...I've known her long before the library and stuff. But this feeling is new. I can't find a reason. And...that day when I dropped the box, I think...I .... I think I saw something in her eyes that made me feel like I should move sooner." His gaze returned to the floor, "Do you think she has any feelings for me?"

Her face did not betray the intense thought process zipping through her brain. She didn't want to lie to him. Nor did she want to give him false hope because she was yet to address and converse with Hafsa. In the end, she decided to go as close to the truth as possible. "Not that I know of. But she's difficult to read that way."

"You should know, you're her best friend."

"Compliment taken, but last I checked we have different brains. Thoughts don't mix."

"Point noted," Musa said, then added more quietly, "So....what is your opinion?"

Sidra couldn't help but smile. This was an entirely different side Musa was displaying to her, and in his confidence, she felt honoured. "To be honest, I have no opinion. But if I must say anything, I'd say Isthikhara. Pray and wait for an answer. If you get a green light, go ahead." She didn't tell how amusing she found the idea, considering her one time questionable fantasy of Hafsa and Musa marrying eachother.

"Great help," he groaned.

"As always," she grinned back.

He stood up, dusting the seat of his pants, "Keep this between us. You're the second to know."