Chapter 11

Filey Manor, Filey, East Riding of Yorkshire

A cheer went up as soon as the last of Bridlington's convoy disappeared from sight, and Roana turned to Allan, throwing her arms around his neck. All around them, people were smiling in relief, patting each other on the back and embracing. Her uncle and aunt looked like the weight of the world had been removed from their shoulders, and Eleanor pulled Robin into a hug as Robert clasped his hand in thanks. Marian stood by his side, looking radiant.
"And don't come back," Much pretended to call after the retreating group, and everybody laughed.
"We must celebrate," Robert said, decisively. "We will have a feast tonight, and everybody is welcome."
The outlaws cheered, always enthusiastic about free food, and people began to move back up the track towards the house, chatting excitedly. There was an atmosphere of revelry and comradeship that hadn't been altogether apparent before, and Roana slipped her hand into Allan's. He shot a quick glance at Robert, and she squeezed his hand in admonishment.
"It doesn't matter anymore," she said, moving closer to speak into his ear. "We will leave in the morning. I'll tell them and Robin soon."
"Are you sure, Ro?" he asked, his brow knitted slightly.
Roana looked at him, her eyebrows raised. "Well, do you still want me?"
He grinned, saucily. "Damn right I do."
"Well, that's sorted, then," she replied with a smile. "Me and you, A Dale. We'll go back to Nottingham and wait for the others to return." Her smile turned into a smirk. "We'll have the camp all to ourselves."
Allan looked thrilled and glanced around, quickly, before groaning. "Why are all these people here when I just want to kiss you?"
Laughing, she pulled him after her as they joined the small crowd returning to the courtyard. Leaving him with Will and Djaq, she hurried into the house and headed for her bed chamber. Beverly had taken away her leggings and tunic - her forest clothes - with the promise to get them laundered and returned straight away. Sure enough, the maid had left them folded nearly atop her mattress, clean and smelling fresh. Roana smiled to herself. She would thank her before she left. A good maid was a gift from heaven.
With a sudden pang, Roana thought of Alice, last seen clinging to Gisborne's arm on the other side of the gate, accompanying William on his evil mission to burn Filey Manor. Roana missed her so much, but the chasm between them seemed to be widening by the day. Alice loved Gisborne; of that there was no doubt. But would she allow that love to turn her against her friends? It had certainly appeared so that morning, although it was difficult to understand what she was thinking, for they hadn't spoken in so long. Alice had warned Roana and Robin of William's plans only days before; surely her mind had not been changed in such a short space of time. Roana hoped not, and, if that was indeed the case, she couldn't imagine the turmoil Alice must be in, torn between her friends and her love.
Although, maybe Roana could imagine, for her return to Filey had been fraught with worry. She loved Allan and cared for him implicitly. Although he cultivated a casual, unconcerned air, he was a lot more sensitive than people gave him credit for, and she would not see him hurt. She would fight for him, and, if that involved turning her back on her uncle and aunt, she would do it, even while it tore her apart inside. She would do it for Allan.
Maybe she and Alice weren't so different, after all. There must be something very special about Gisborne if Alice was sticking by him, despite everything.
Shedding the beautiful peacock-blue gown and draping it over her bed, Roana pulled on her leggings and tunic and found her boots. She couldn't believe how restrictive the gown had felt after the freedom of her forest outfit. She immediately felt lighter, liberated from the heavy skirts.
Leaving the chamber, she skipped back down the stairs. Reaching the bottom, she looked left and glimpsed Robert and Robin through the open solar door. Perfect, she thought. She could tell them both at once that she and Allan would be leaving the following morning. Heading to the door, she found Allan where she had left him, talking with Little John and Roger outside the barn. She beckoned him over.
"I really don't know how I prefer you," he said, looking her up and down approvingly as he approached. "In a dress, like this, or without anything on at all."
He grinned at her and Roana blushed, but more with the sudden rush of desire than embarrassment.
"Stop it!" she said, feeling slightly breathless, and unable to stop the smile from creeping over her face. She grabbed his hand and pulled him into the house. "Come on. It's time to confront my uncle and aunt."
Allan came closer to her, his blue eyes gleaming. "We're really doing this?"
Roana nodded. "We're really doing this."
"Where are we going?" He began to pull her deeper into the house, and Roana laughed at his enthusiasm. Taking over, she headed for the solar, where Robert, Eleanor, Robin, and Marian were deep in conversation. They paused and looked towards the door when Roana entered, followed closely by Allan.
"Uncle Robert. Aunt Eleanor," she began, haltingly, and paused. They were looking at her in bewilderment, taking in her change of outfit, and Roana felt a sudden wave of sorrow, thinking of the closeness they had once shared, but which had suddenly gone awry. It all came out in one unstoppable sentence, everything that she had wanted to say the night before but had been reluctant to do so for fear of Robert's obvious disapproval, and everything that she had decided on since.
"I love you both so much, and I am so grateful for everything you're done for me, please believe me when I say that, and I know that you are going to disapprove of what I say now, and I'm not doing it to hurt or disappoint you, but I'm with Allan and I love him and we want to be together more than anything, and you don't seem to be able to see that, so we are leaving tomorrow." She paused for breath and looked at them both, pleadingly. "I'm sorry."
"Oh, Roana."
Eleanor's expression was distraught, but Robert's face had settled into a pensive scowl. He ignored Roana very deliberately and regarded Allan instead for a long moment. Allan stared back at him, boldly.
Roana approached her aunt and placed a hand on her arm. "I really am sorry, but I'm going to follow my heart. Being with William made me realise that I can't enter into a marriage of convenience. You've always known this about me." She looked at Robert. "Uncle Robert, please understand."
Robert's lips tightened but he continued to look at Allan, rubbing his chin, thoughtfully. When he spoke, his tone was cold. "What can you offer my niece?"
Allan looked startled and shrugged. "I know I'm not a lord, but I love her and I'll look after her. I'm not being funny but that's a lot more than Bridlington ever did."
"But you're an outlaw," Robert replied, sternly. "I don't really think life in the forest is good enough for a lady, and with a thief? It's not ideal. Surely you can see that. She deserves better."
"Now, hang on a minute," Allan said, becoming irate.
Robin intervened, quickly, holding up a hand. "Allan," he said, warningly. Allan backed down but continued to glare at Robert, his blue eyes flashing with anger.
Robin turned to Robert. Looking at them standing face-to-face, it was easy to see the family resemblance for it was reflected in their stature, the nut-brown hair, and the intensity in their blue eyes, Roana thought. She hadn't noticed earlier, had been preoccupied with other things. But, now that she was leaving, she could see it, was noticing details to savour once she left them behind.
"Robert," Robin said, patiently, the amenable mediator. "Give Allan a chance. He's a good man."
"I've given Allan a chance," Robert stated, firmly. "I have nothing against him, as a person. I've welcomed him into my home, as with all of your friends, despite the fact that you are all outlaws. But he is not good enough for my niece, and that is my final say. And, as your guardian," he spoke to Roana, "I will not allow you to leave this house with him."
Roana looked at him, aghast, and turned to find Allan, but he was beyond reach, thrumming with rage.
"Maybe you should take the stick out of your arse and actually get to know me, instead of judging me for the mistakes I've made in the past," he shouted, furiously. "But I'm not going to stick around and waste my time trying to talk you round. Ro?"
Roana looked at Robin, imploringly, not wanting to leave things like they were, torn between Allan and Robert and Eleanor.
"Wait outside," Robin said to Allan, quietly and firmly. "She'll be with you after we've spoken amongst ourselves."
Without a word, Allan turned and stalked out of the room, slamming the door after him.
"Allan!" Roana made to go after him, but Robin stilled her with a hand to her arm.
"Leave him. Let him cool off. He won't go far."
Devastated at the thought of Allan alone with his anger, Roana nevertheless took Robin's advice, keen to conclude her conversation and hurry after him. Her mind was made up; she would leave Filey today whether Robert agreed with it or not. She would leave with Allan.