Chapter 5

Doncaster, West Riding of Yorkshire

As the guards advanced on Averey, menacingly, he wielded his staff and gave a roar. Marian drew her sword, wishing her bow was to hand and not tucked onto the underside of her saddle. She was competent with a sword, but felt far more comfortable with her bow in hand. But there was no time to sprint to her horse, and she took a fighting stance, adrenaline coursing through her veins.
A crowd of people were beginning to gather on the road beside them, keen to witness the action, whispering amongst themselves as the guards circled Averey, warily, leaping back as he swung the staff around.
Marian would rather not have caused a scene so early into their journey, but events were quickly getting out of hand, thanks to the greed of the guards. She edged towards the nearest guard, brandishing her sword, as Eve quickly whipped her daggers out and moved to join her, fear written all over her face.
"You there! What is the meaning of this?" The strident tones came from behind them, on the road, and the guards immediately stood to attention, turning away from Averey with a speed indicative of guilt.
Whipping around herself, Marian noticed that a carriage had stopped on the roadside and a regal-looking man had stepped from it's interior to watch them, his hands on his hips. He stood a head's height taller than her and had a handsome, moustachioed face with raven black hair. The expression on his face, however, was stern, and his eyes flicked curiously over Marian before returning to the guards.
"My lord!" The guard who had spoken to Marian stepped forward, blustering in his haste to tell his story. "We stopped to ask them where they were 'eaded and he pulled a weapon on us!"
"You liar!" Marian's voice rang out, indignantly, glaring at him. She turned to the newcomer, her hands on her own hips. "He tried to swindle money out of us, my lord. Payment for a toll!"
The nobleman regarded her for a short moment in silence, his sharp, green eyes taking in her hair and face and then dropping thoughtfully to her attire. He turned to the guards. "Get on your way. Now! And if I hear of any more incidents like this, I will report you to the Sheriff myself."
His tone was ice-cold steel, and the guards leapt into action, scrambling away from Averey thankfully. Mounting their horses, they rode on without a sound.
The nobleman watched them go with a barely imperceptible shake of his head, before approaching Marian, a friendlier look on his face.
"Sir Walter of Doncaster, my lady." Recognising her own noble status despite the clothing, he took her hand in his and bent over it, kissing it lightly, before meeting her eyes with his own. "And you are..?"
Marian flushed very slightly, and inclined her head. "Lady Marian of Knighton, my lord. My companions and I are merely passing through, on our way to Filey. We do not want any trouble."
"And trouble you will not encounter," Sir Walter said, fervently, his gaze sweeping over Eve and Averey before returning to Marian. "I will, of course, escort you as far as York to ensure your safety."
"Oh, my lord. There is no need," Marian protested, weakly. "We will be fine on our own.."
"I insist." Sir Walter's tone was firm. "We cannot have a Lady as fair as yourself running into any more strife. There are outlaws and highwaymen on these roads as it is, and I'm afraid the standard of the Sheriff's garrison has taken a nosedive in recent months."
Marian stared at him for a moment, noticing the stubborn set of his mouth, realising that he would not take no for an answer. She nodded, graciously. "Many thanks, my lord. However, we are in a hurry and must depart immediately."
"Of course, my dear." Sir Walter indicated to his mounted attendant on the road, and called out, imperiously, "Lady Marian will be accompanying me in the carriage. Her companions and her horse will bring up the rear."
"My lady!" Eve stepped forward, quickly, before hesitating, glancing at Sir Walter before lowering her eyes. Marian looked at her and Averey, who was also eyeing her in concern, his staff still brandished. She considered turning down Sir Walter's offer and riding on with her companions, but he seemed genuine enough, and her refusal may well draw more attention than her acceptance of his proposal would. For all she knew, a friendship and allegiance with a nobleman in a strange shire could be beneficial to both her safe passage, and that of Robin's.
"It's fine." Marian nodded at them both, meaningfully. "Sir Walter will escort us to York, and then we will carry on as planned." She looked at the nobleman. "I must insist that my maid comes with us in the carriage. It would not be appropriate for me to travel alone with a strange man, no matter how helpful he is."
"Very well." Sir Walter offered Marian his arm with a charming grin, and she took it hesitantly. "Come along, then, my dear. And, on the way, you must tell me exactly what brings you to Yorkshire, and dressed as a man. It is most unusual. I want to know everything."