Chapter 7

Filey Manor, Filey, East Riding of Yorkshire, the following morning

Although the familiarity of her own comfortable bed, in her own bedroom, should have settled Roana, she could not sleep. She missed Allan, and felt terrible for the way Robert had acted towards him. She could only imagine how Allan must have felt, to be so thoroughly dismissed. It played on her mind all night, and she only managed to catch scraps of slumber before she gave up and pushed back the covers, hearing the sounds of the farm awakening outside her window.
Quickly pulling on her forest clothes, she was interrupted by a hesitant knock on the door. Wondering who it was at such an early hour, she opened it to find a young maid, dark-haired and hazel-eyed, standing outside, carrying a gown of peacock blue. She bobbed a nervous curtsy.
"Lady Roana, my name is Beverly. Lord Filey has sent me to be your assistant," she said, deferentially. "Lady Filey would like you to wear this."
Her eyes swept over Roana's current outfit, but she made no comment as Roana ushered her into the room.
"As you can see, Beverly, I am already dressed." Roana indicated her clothes, and then paused, realising they were less than fresh. "Although, I do smell a little, um, fragrant."
"I'll draw you a bath, m'lady," Beverly said, enthusiastically. She placed the dress reverently on the bed before hurrying away to fetch water.
Roana sighed. It would be nice to bathe, and to wear clean clothes for a change. And then she would find Allan and apologise properly for her uncle's manners the night before.
She hoped that Robin arrived today. He would know how to talk Robert around. Although he and Robert had not met since Robin was a child, her brother had the ability to talk most people around to his way of thinking, by spelling it out clearly and concisely. She suspected she would need his help in convincing both her aunt and uncle of the sincerity of her and Allan's feelings for one another.
Roana stretched out her left hand and looked at the grass ring on her finger, testimony of Allan's love and commitment to her. It had started to fray and she slipped it off, placing it on her pillow until after her bath. She was keen to preserve it for as long as possible, knowing how symbolic it was to Allan, and to herself. Even though it was only made of grass, the ring bound them with the promise of so much more. It mattered a lot to her, as did Allan.
After a hasty bath, during which Beverly fussed over her, she finally managed to leave the manor house and make her way to the barn that was being used as accommodation for the Nottingham men. Beverly had stuck to her like glue while she bathed, dressed in the gown that was, admittedly, beautiful, and styled her hair, with the maid's help. She wasn't Alice, but she was sweet, and she did an admirable job. Roana felt like a lady again as she crossed the yard, her step quickening in her impatience to see Allan.
The hour was still early, but the farm was alive with activity as staff went about their daily chores. The morning was bright and the sun warm on the back of her head as she approached the new barn, marvelling at the speed with which it had been built after the fire that had decimated the last one.
As she reached the barn door, it opened to emit loud, raucous laughter and a maid emerged, carrying a tray and laughing as she turned her head to reply to someone within. Roana stopped and stood aside to let her pass. The maid, a young woman with hair the colour of straw and a heavy-lidded, voluptuous look about her, spotted Roana and the smile faded from her lips.
"M'lady," she muttered, bobbing a curtsy. Roana glanced at her in surprise. While her eyes were lowered, deferentially, her lip was curled and her tone faintly mocking as she focused on the hem of Roana's dress.
Roana watched her hurry back to the house in puzzlement, then pushed her confoundment aside and stepped into the barn. Allan was stood amidst a group of men, holding court. She couldn't quite catch what he was speaking about, but the men surrounding him, the Nottingham men she had first met the night before, were laughing, coarsely, and Roana hesitated, suddenly feeling out of place. She was considering retracing her steps when Allan noticed her and cut his story short to whistle, appreciatively.
"Wow, Ro. You look.." He seemed lost for words as his eyes swept over her modest curves, and Roana felt the beginnings of a blush as the group of men turned as one to look at her.
"That dress really makes your eyes stand out," Auden said, stepping away from the group and smiling at her, his own eyes crinkling at the corners.
"Well, thank you both," Roana said, awkwardly. She caught Allan's eye and his gaze bore into hers with an intensity that surprised her. She raised her eyebrows, imperceptibly. "Can I speak to you, Allan?"
He shrugged with an offhand manner, and Roana felt a wave of puzzlement wash over her again as he followed her out of the barn. Something seemed to have changed between them, a subtle shift in their closeness. Or was she imagining it after Robert's embarrassing behaviour the previous day? She wasn't sure, but she had to make everything right again. Something felt off.
Turning to him as the barn door closed behind them, she spotted the maid who had emerged from the barn earlier, standing outside the kitchen door and watching them, curiously. Wanting privacy, she took Allan's hand and lead him around the corner, out of sight.
"Allan," she began, earnestly, looking into his blue eyes. "I'm so sorry for the way my uncle spoke to you yesterday. I had no idea he would act like that."
Allan shrugged again, but there was a softening in his gaze. "It's alright, Ro. It's not your fault."
"No, it's not alright! It was unforgivable!" Roana spoke with feeling. She looked down, suddenly downhearted. "I just hope it hasn't scared you off."
Whatever barrier, real or imagined, that was there between them melted away, and Allan pulled her into his arms, tilting her chin up so he could see her eyes. "It will take more than that to put me off you, Ro."
"I hope so," she said, softly. He kissed her, lightly, then pulled back slightly.
"I missed you last night. Kept waking up. Didn't feel right, you not being there."
Suddenly weak with a combination of relief, love, and desire, Roana took his face in her hands and kissed him, properly. He responded immediately, winding his arms around her waist and pulling her tight against him. Roana moved her hands to the back of his head and threaded her fingers into his already tousled chestnut hair, angling her head to allow him to deepen the kiss. Humming deep in his throat, Allan swung her around and pushed her up against the barn wall, pressing himself into her. He kissed her passionately, greedily, and wholeheartedly, and when they finally broke apart, they were both breathless and flushed.
They smiled into each other's eyes, any doubts forgotten. Allan's gaze fell to her cleavage.
"I'd almost forgotten how good you look in a dress," he said in a preoccupied tone. Roana laughed and he began to kiss her neck, working his way downwards. He ran a finger along the low-cut neckline, brushing the top of her breasts. Roana fell quiet, watching him intently, overcome by a need she was only just becoming familiar with. She loved this man, and craved him in ways she didn't quite understand. She needed to get Robert onside, because she wasn't willing to give this up for anyone.
Allan met her eyes and she saw the same need in him. They kissed again, firmly, decisively, and Roana knew everything would be alright.
He backed away and grabbed her hand, pulling her away from the wall, his smile only for her.
"Come on. We need to have a word with your uncle again."
"We do," Roana agreed, then had a thought. "Oh, by the way, I noticed some tension between you and that Nottingham man, Auden. What's the story there?"
Allan shrugged, suddenly offhand. "Well, y'know, he rubs me up the wrong way. Thinks he's a ladies man. Too good-looking by half, don't you think?"
Roana resisted the urge to gape at him in astonishment. Allan was jealous! And of a man that Roana had barely noticed. Turning to him, she gave him a sultry look from beneath her lashes and a suggestive smile, coupled with a one-shouldered shrug and a raised eyebrow. "I've seen much better."
Allan's face broke into a wide, delighted grin, and he pulled her closer, kissing her sweetly. "I love you."
"I know you do," Roana said, pertly. "And I love you."
He smoothed a lock of hair from her face. "Then let's tell your uncle that we're together. Today."
They were interrupted by Will, walking ahead of Little John and Robert, coming from the track leading away from the farm. He whistled, sharply, then subtly gestured behind him to indicate Robert's presence, before shouting a greeting. Allan reluctantly let go of her hand and they exchanged a meaningful glance before heading towards the small group.
"We were just looking for you," Roana approached her uncle and kissed him on the cheek. "Good morning, Uncle Robert."
"Good morning, my dear." He stood back to view her dress. "Much better, Roana. You look like a lady again. Your aunt will be so pleased."
"Thank you," Roana said, graciously, keen to change the subject. "How are things? Any sign of William?"
"Not yet," Robert replied, thoughtfully. "These men have been very helpful."
Will nodded, enthusiastically. "I've rigged up something similar to what we've got at the camp. We will get an alert if someone steps on the trap. Also, I've secured the gate. Nobody is getting through that without permission."
Robert seemed impressed. "Will and John have been telling me all about this camp of theirs. It sounds amazing."
"It really is," Roana agreed, fervently. Robert was in a much better mood than he had been the previous evening, when it had felt like she barely knew him at all. She had never seen him like that before; however, she had never brought a man home before, and an outlaw at that. Roana was aware that, at first glimpse, Allan might not seem like the ideal partner for a lady of her standing. But it felt right, and she was willing to overlook the fact that he was a criminal in favour of their love for each other. Surely Robert would come to understand that, given time and encouragement.
It seemed like the ideal moment to bring him and Allan together, Roana decided. "Will designed the camp, but the whole gang helped to create it. John, Allan, Robin, and Djaq and Much, who will arrive with Robin later today."
Robert looked at Allan, who had fallen uncharacteristically silent. "Ah, yes. Allan. Will has been telling me about your time in Nottingham Castle, looking out for my niece. I must thank you for that."
Allan looked startled, but quickly hid it beneath his habitual nonchalance. "No problem."
"I'll be very interested to talk more with you all, once this situation has been settled," Robert continued, and Roana squeezed his arm, sending him a grateful smile.
"It might be sooner than we expected," Will commented as a bell began to ring in the tall oak tree beside the courtyard. "Somebody is outside the gate."