Chapter 31

Doncaster, West Riding of Yorkshire

Eustace de Vescy made good on his promise to look after Much, Eve, Djaq, and Darren. Safely ensconcing them in a local friend's hall, he had one of the best physicians in York attend to Eve's injuries, caused by a fall from her horse when the mare had shied unexpectedly at a rabbit in the undergrowth. With a hearty meal inside them, along with a restful night's sleep in comfortable accommodation, the small group were ready to leave early the following morning, with an air of relief about them. Darren, the Nottingham man who had been helping to protect Filey Manor for the past few months, was eager to return to his family in Edwinstowe, while Much, Djaq, and Eve, although mindful of the potential trouble that lay ahead, could hardly wait for the journey to end, and to be back in Nottingham.
Stusi, while unable to remain in York with them overnight, had expressed concern for Marian's welfare, but Much had done his best to soothe the earl's unease. Of course, Much couldn't know for sure what was happening in Locksley, but he was confident in Robin's ability to win any battle, especially where Marian was concerned. Stusi, however, left for Malton with the promise that his garrison was ready for battle whenever Robin needed them.
"Everyone likes my master," Much informed Eve, succinctly, as the group trooped along the Great North Road, heading for home. "Because he is such a genuinely good man. I don't think we have met anyone who has taken a disliking to him. Well, apart from the Sheriff, of course. And Gisborne."
"So, there are people who dislike him?" Djaq, bringing up the rear alongside Darren, piped up with an arch tone, exchanging an amused glance with Eve.
"There is the odd person who doesn't like him," Much continued, undeterred, pretending he hadn't heard Djaq. "But, overall, he is very well thought of, I'd say. I mean, Stusi wants to help him. Burne helped him. In fact, even Gisborne helped him at Scarborough Castle. Robin inspires loyalty in so many people, without even trying. It's quite amazing, really."
"He's a good man. Just like you," Eve said, touching Much's arm lightly, and Much preened.
"I try my best," he smiled, modestly, and Djaq and Darren muffled a laugh.
Eve's horse had been quite lame after the accident the previous day, and she had made the decision to leave the mare in York until she recovered. Therefore, the group was a mount short, and Much and Eve had shared a horse until they reached Doncaster, where, deciding to rest the horses for a while, they had proceeded on foot, leading their mounts. As a result, it was taking longer to reach home than anticipated.
To the left of the road lay the outer edges of Barnsdale Forest. Aspen, beech, and silver birch jostled for position, and the greenwood was awash with the sound of birdsong. As the group headed deeper into the forest, the trees crowded in around them, muffling the sound of Much's voice.
Behind them, Djaq could hear the clatter of approaching hoofbeats over Much's idle chatter, and the faint sound of voices. Turning her head slightly, she attempted to tune out the noises around her and concentrate. As the newcomer drew closer to them, she realised that it was one voice, and it sounded extremely disgruntled, and vaguely familiar.
"Somebody is here," she warned, and Much paused in his monologue and glanced back, catching her eye, a hand at the hilt of his sword.
She nodded at him and they continued on their way, with Much and Darren automatically changing position to bring up the rear. Eventually, a rider appeared around the bend, mounted on a bay horse and leading a stubborn chestnut, who was tossing his head and dragging his feet.
As the rider admonished the chestnut horse again in exasperated tones, Much began to smile and stopped in his tracks.
"Allan! What's going on?"
It was indeed Allan, looking extremely harassed. Seeing the small group, he brought the bay to a relieved halt. The chestnut, ears back and a mule-like expression on his face, suddenly decided he wanted to move after all, and attempted to continue, almost dragging Allan from the saddle. He cursed and Darren stuck out a hand to take the horse from him. The chestnut stopped immediately, his ears swivelling forwards as he recognised Darren from Filey Manor.
Allan looked at the horse, askance, before turning to Much and Djaq. "Thank God you lot are here! Bridlington has taken Roana and he's heading for Nottingham. Where's Robin and the others?"
Much and Djaq were already mounting up.
"Marian's in trouble in Locksley. They went on ahead because.." Much gestured vaguely at Eve. "Well, it's a long story. What do you mean, Bridlington took Roana?"
"I mean," Allan said, with barely concealed impatience. "She was there one minute, and next, she had vanished, and all that I found was this."
He struggled for a moment in the folds of his cloak before pulling out a glove emblazoned with a distinctive crest. He held it up, grimly. "Bridlington's crest. I'd recognise it anywhere."
"Are you sure they will be in Nottingham?" Djaq asked.
Allan gave a firm nod. "Bridlington was on his way there. He'll have taken her, I just know it. He spent the night in the same town as us last night. He must have been passing by the manor house we stayed in this morning and grabbed Roana."
"And she definitely wasn't still in the house?" Much ascertained, as Eve and Darren swung into their respective saddles, Darren taking over the chestnut, who seemed perfectly happy in his charge.
"I'm positive, Much," Allan replied, brusquely. "She left this behind."
He gestured at the bow over his shoulder, which was enough of an answer. The recurve bow had been a gift from Robin, and Roana treasured it too much to leave it anywhere.
"We go to Nottingham," Much announced, subconsciously echoing Little John, and pointed his horse towards Nottingham, setting off at a gallop.
Djaq sent Allan a tight-lipped smile of sympathy before following Much. Pilgrim joined them with no urging whatsoever, and, as they set a fast pace, Allan hoped against hope that Roana was unharmed.