Chapter 3: Mirror on the wall

NIALL’S POV

I hear noises. The front door opens and I hear footsteps in the house.

I open my eyes and I realize that I’m still in that small wooden house in Mullingar. Paul isn’t coming to wake me up early this morning. The boys are not beside me, cracking jokes all the time and doing different harmonies. I’m alone, now.

The footsteps seem getting nearer to the room where I’m in.

I carefully get up from my bed then put my head out the doorway. Two young women are at the end of the hallway. What the hell are they doing here?

“Uh… can I help you?”

“Oh!” exclaims one of the ladies. “Niall, you’re here! We can now start your makeover!”

“What?” I say, confused. “What makeover? Who are you?”

“Your makeover of famous boy to normal boy, Niall!” she exclaims just like I was naive. “I’m a hairdresser and she’s a stylist. We’ll completely change your look so nobody will recognize you!”

“I…”

“Come on! Faster started, faster finished!”

The hairdresser takes me by the arm and makes me sit on a chair. I try to protest but she keeps cutting me. She keeps assuring me it’s for my good, that Marco and the others are all doing this for me to be happy. To be honest, it doesn’t work at all.

I look through the mirror in front of me and I see the hairdresser shaving almost all of my hair off and dyeing them of a dark black, my tears sliding on my cheeks like water on a bird’s wings.

The stylist is putting new clothes into my drawers and closet, they’re dark so I can melt into the crowd. She then put a pair of glasses on my nose to hide my shining blue eyes, losing their glow gradually.

After they’re all done, they take their stuff and quit my house, leaving me alone in front of the mirror.

I can’t even recognize myself.

HARRY’S POV

I look at Louis from the corner of my eye. He gives me a sheepish smile. He’s the only one able to smile today even though he’s worried. We’re all worried. Niall is still not here. It’s rehearsal for the concert tonight and Niall is not back yet. Marco tells us to sing just like he was there but that’s hard. Niall has a unique voice, without him we’re nothing. Marco also tells us not to be worried.

“Marco, it doesn’t make it.” Zayn says with an anxious tone, cutting the song in the middle of it.

“Keep going!” Marco exclaims. “It was going well!”

“No!” I reply, a bit overwrought. “Marco, aren’t you worried that Niall leaves like that and that we don’t have any news from him?!”

Marco sighs.

“We trust Nia-”

“But what’s wrong with you suddenly, uh?!”

I didn’t notice that I screamed my last words. Everyone in the room is frozen, looking at me with their heartless eyes.

“Alright.” Marco continues. “I cancel the rehearsal. I give you the whole afternoon to make him come back and if he’s not back before the concert, you’ll do it without him.”

People walk away in the room. There’s only Liam, Zayn, Louis and I left. I take out my phone and the boys nod.

A ball of emotions forms in my throat as I type those words down, destined to Niall’s phone: "Where you at, Nialler?! We're so worried! Come back now!"