In 27 Days

Title: In 27 Days

Author: HonorInTheRain

Status: Completed

HonorInTheRain has created an Inspirational, toe curling, awe-inspiring story that started with a little courage and prehaps a not so sane person in my opinion.

Hadley Jamison doesn't know what to think when she hears that her classmate, Archer Morales, committed suicide. She didn't exactly know him, but that doesn't stop her from feeling like there was something she could have done to help him.
So to Hadley's surprise, on the very night of Archer's funeral, she has a run in with Death himself and is offered the chance to go back in time to stop Archer from ending his life. The catch? She only has twenty-seven days to do it. And if Hadley doesn't succeed? Well, she doesn't want to think about that.

Advice from Hadley: If you meet a loner, befriend them. No matter what they tell you, it's not because they enjoy solitude. Its because they tried to blend into the world before and people continue to dissapoint them.

Excerpt

Nineteen minutes later I was stepping out of St. Patrick's Cathderal, my coat wrapped around me tightly, hoping against hope that I was going to be able to find a taxi esasily. It was nearing nine and in my father's terms, that meant late, even if I have school tomorrow.

"It's a bit late for a young girl like yourself to be out at this time of night, isn't it?"

I jumped about a foot in the air and spun wildly around on my heel at the sound of the voice. The coive was eerily creepy, harsh and gravelly souding so deep it was like it was echoing up from some cavern.

Squinting to see closer in the dim light the street lights were giving off, I made out the figure of a man who was sprawled out at the bottom steps of the church. How I'd missed the guy walking out of the church I had no idea, but he was definitely there.

The guy was dressed in rippped jeans and what looked like a faded and worn leather jacket. His hair was dar, tinged with a bit of gray, but his face was so eerily pale and white it was like he was giving off this creepy glow.

I caught myself stumbling backwards, my arms tightening around myself as I stared at the guy.

"I don't know who you are, but I'm not looking for trouble," I stuttered out, gnawing on my lip nervously.

The guy gave a laugh, dragging himself up to his feet as he started rummaging around in his pockets. "Oh, I know you're not, Hadley Jamison. I'm not here to bring you trouble, either."

My jaw dropped. "What-? How d-did you-?"

"Know your name?"

"I know everything, Hadley Jamison," the guy said in an oddly haughty voice. "It comes with the job description"

"Who are you?" I demanded before I could stop myself, clenching my fists together.

The guy started walking closer, stepping into the dim glow of the nearest street lamp, the cigarette between his thin, bony fingers.

"Oh, I'm known by lots of names," the guy drawled, taking another drag on his cigarette. "Some call me the Devil, the Grim Reaper, Hades. I could go on really." The guy smiled as he said this, flashing straight white teeth that seemed to glint in the light in contrast to his pitch black fathomless eyes.

"But I suppose, for simplicity sake, you can just call me Death."

You know that feeling you get after you've been doused in ice cold water and for just a few seconds it feels like you've been frozen in a glacier or something like that?