Chapter 11: Children of Regalo

"Why are you doing this?" Asks a nineteen year-old girl. She gripped the man's arm who was standing in front of her. Pain and sadness were both in their eyes. She looks away in pain as he embraces her tightly. Tears started swelling in her eyes and she couldn't help but let them run down her cheeks. She started sobbing when the man still hasn't answered her.

"Tell me. Please," begs the girl, letting go of him, "Why--" she was abruptly interrupted by his lips. His eyes were closed shut and she couldn't help, but kiss him back.

"That's why." He says once he lets her go. The girl felt her cheeks flush as she looked into his dazzling eyes and his messy hair. She turns away in embarrassment when she suddenly felt his fingers gently stroked her long, black locks.

"They-they'll hurt you. I won't let you!" She stuttered. She couldn't even look into his eyes, "I--" the man suddenly places his finger on her lips, silencing her. She lifts her head, facing him.

"Even if they hurt me. They won't lay a finger on you. I'll protect you even if I lose my life as a consequence." The couple embraced, not wanting to ever let go.  Tears flow from their eyes as snow started to rain from the evening sky, the moon's radiating light shining on them. 

"But. . . I. . ." starts the girl. She was loat in words. He may care for her, but she didn't want to lose another of the people she cared for.

"I love you," The man says, interrupting her thoughts, "I will always be with you. To the end of time."

"Yes. You will always have a place in my heart. . . Bernardo."

********

"That's what he said," Thought Angelica as her eyes opened, sensing the sun's gentle touch on her face,  "He tried. We both got hurt. But I lost him. And I'll never forgive myself for that. I hate myself," she pushed back the covers and swung her legs to the bedside, "Why am I still alive? The world is utterly cruel to me. And yet. . . it is often kind."

Angelica got up and looked outside her window. Today was the day. The day when the Arcana Famiglia were to bring the kids to the mountain. She smiled in excitement, imagining what the day had in store for them. Realizing what time it was she started for the bath. 

*********

"No, place it there! No, no, no! Over there! Jeez you guys!" Shouts Debito in disgust as he orders his fellow members to place the boxes on the docks, "We have to get to the mountain early! Come on! Am I supposed to do everything myself?!" He cries, seeing that they still haven't gotten the boxes in line. He wanted them neatly lined up and his fellow members doesn't seem to get it.

"It's alright boys. I'll take it from here." Says Pace. The other members gratefully left the docks and attended to other possible work available.

"Why are we here anyway?" Complains Debito with a scowl, "Isn't this Liberta and Dante's work to handle these things?"

Pace looks at him calmly, "I guess something must have come up and they needed help. Come on! There's barely any left," he continues, taking hold of a crate and passed it along the laborers, "To tell you the truth, I should be eating lasagna right now." He says with his mouth watering.

A mischievous grin suddenly appears on his companion's face, "Ohh. . . really? Are you sure you're not simply wanting to be with Cecilly are you?" He says smirking. Pace stiffens at this.

"W-what? Pfff, no!" He quickly replies, turning away. Pace doesn't realize that he had become red, increasing Debito's curiosity.

Debito laughs hysterically, "Pace, my man," he continues laughing, placing his hand on his friend's shoulder, "No wonder you no longer stare at Angelica. . . You lost your interest to someone else!"