Chapter 20: Seeing The End

"I see." Says Mondo, fumbling with his beard.

Angelica sighs sadly, "I don't understand. They were like family." She says. "I couldn't understand. And maybe I'll never will."

Her hands clutched each other tightly as she agonized on the recalled memories. Debito notices and takes hold of her hand. His eyes were soft and kind, filled with compassion with her. The woman forces a smile, but the pain in her eyes never went away.

"You'll always be here, right?"

"I will, Colette." Answers Angelica. "I won't go anywhere."

"Once I'm head of the household, I'll make you my personal assistant in the affairs of this family." Colette announces tirumphantly.

The maid chuckles, "Isn't that what Gerard is going to do? He's the eldest if you have forgotten." She points out.

"Doeasn't matter. You will be my assistant."

"You can be childish sometimes."

"Why did he sell you?" Asked Jolly as he puffed a smoke.

"Before I get to that I'll explain what happened after a friend's death." Says Angelica. "Colette got sick. I don't know why, but I believe that she was poisoned."

"Poisoned??"

"Yes. I know exactly who did it."

****Flashback****

"Colette, hang on!" Cried Madame Giry. "An, do something please!!" Pleaded the woman.

The girl was deathly pale. She has been bedridden for three days, only becoming worse and worse. Colette was hot with fever, fighting the monster inside her. Her eyes were shut closed, but she kept moaning and groaning in pain. Her eyes were encircled with dark spots. Her veins were becoming green, and her body becoming stiff.

There were several maids in the room, assisting Angelica with whatever they had. The master of the house held his dear daughter's hand, not letting go. Gerard wasn't in the room, saying that he will just pray for his sister.

"I'll do what I can!" Replied Angelica, making some medicine from the herbs she collected. "From how she's been acting, I believe that this is a strong poison." She explains with a grim face.

"What?? Why would anyone do that??"

"I don't know." Angelica replies calmly. "But whatever they planned will fail." She adds, quickly making her friend drink the herbal drink.

With a pounding heart, the maid kept her eyes on her friend. She became more peaceful, and her green veins were disappearing. Silence lingered in the room. The clocked ticked, making everyone else in the room uneasy. Death held Colette's hand, but life held her back from him, making him let go.

Fluttering her eyes, the blonde opens her eyes, and sees her parents' tear stained faces, "Ma? Pa? What happened?" She asks wearily.

"Colette!" Cried the parents.

"We thought we'd lose you!" Sobbed Madame Giry, hugging her dear daughter.

"Mary, call Gerard!" The father yells to a maid. "His prayers have been answered!"

"Y-Yes, sir!" Replies the maid, quickly running out of the chamber.

Her footsteps echoed through the empty halls. Her skirt was held up by her hands to allow her to run with no problems. Panting, she soon reached the young master's room. She suddenly felt nervous to knock on the door. Swallowing her fears, her hand gently knocks on the door of oak wood. "Uh. . Young master? Your father is calling for you." She finally blurts out.