Chapter 14

~~~~

~~~~

I didn't know exactly how long we have been in there, but I realized it was getting dark. Even Newt realized it, too. I suddenly cringed to myself, thinking about what our friends were wondering right about now. How we've been gone for an hour, doing nothing but the obvious. They were probably talking to each other, talking about us. I was imagining them speaking on the subject of the two lovebirds, having that privacy they've always joked about. But that didn't happen to us. Besides, after Minho caught us behind the boat we were sheltering in that night, it made me realize something: My virginity.

Yes, my virginity. Also Newt's. Sure, when we got lost in the moment it didn't matter about having sex with each other because we had trust in one another. But when I look at that, I knew that we would've done something that I wasn't going to be proud of later. Honestly, the only thing we did in that medical tent was only making out. (Yeah, get your mind out of the gutter!) Even if we were going to have sex, the both of us would have gone somewhere much more private where we wouldn't risk anyone finding us. For now, I wasn't ready for the next step. Not yet, anyway.

After we reeled back into reality, Newt and I walked out of the tent together. I put on the warm clothes he provided for me, which was a deep blue, almost black drawstring coat with a hoodie and fur along the brim of it. I was also given brown fingerless gloves and a red bandana. I felt so much warmer now, and we weren't going to be sleeping on the ground anymore. Thank God for that.

We went to join our friends, who was sitting on the rocks on the cliff where we could see the entire view of the campsite. It was absolutely gorgeous. Thomas came up to join us shortly after. I gave him a look to ask if Brenda was okay. That flickering light in his soft brown eyes said that she was. I was relieved. But not as relieved as Jorge might've been. He wasn't with us, so he had to be looking after her.

"I wish Alby could've seen this," Newt spoke up suddenly, his voice laced with nostelgia.

We nodded in agreement. If Alby were still alive and with us, he would've been proud of all of us. We made it at last.

"And Winston," Frypan added.

This was the moment for my friends to miss somebody, I could feel it. I unknowingly turned my head to find Thomas holding something in his hands. It was the little wooden figurine Chuck made a while ago. I instantly frowned, thinking about the kid. I remember his pudgy little look, and how he was very talkative. His eyes would flicker in excitement and his smile spread wide on his lips if he was telling a funny story, or the way he laughed to entertain us. I mostly missed watching his relationship with the Gladers. He was the kind of kid to get along with everybody. Though he could bug me sometimes, I never got tired of listening to him. I would always give him my full attention as he would rant on about a lot of things. But watching him die was one of the hardest things I have ever seen.

I miss him. If Gally hadn't taken his life away so quickly, he would've been sitting right beside us right now, chattering with The Right Arm, making new friends. I would've been messing with his curly brown hair, embarrassing him a little. He would've been sitting in this perfect safe haven, having that peace we all worked so hard for.