Chapter 1

~~~~

~~~~

I was in my mother's arms when it was snowing outside huge walls. I glanced up at it, widening my eyes in amazement. There were a lot of other people there too, and people dressed in gear and armor stood by the walls. Dogs were barking, people were talking. I didn't know what was going on, but I remember my mother had tears in her eyes. She made her way to the front where the guards were, and she put me down. Me, being so small at the time, was confused, and my mother knelt down and held my hands.

    "Mommy, why are you crying?" I asked.

    "I just love you so much," she replied while wiping her tears away, trying to hide her pain. But no matter how hard she tried, she just couldn't keep it in.

    "Listen, sweetheart, I have to go. I love you with all my heart." Tears fell from her face again. "And be safe. I love you, babygirl. I love you, Rosalee."

    She stood up, but I didn't know why she had to leave. She promised she wouldn't leave me.

    "Mommy?" I said.

    Before I could say anything else, one of the tall guards came up to me and picked me up. I screamed and kicked, but they overpowered me. I was screaming for my mom, but she didn't come to me, even though she wanted to. The guards were also holding her back, more hot tears streaming down her face. And just like that, I never saw her again.

    I was placed behind the walls, and apparently, I wasn't the only one. There were other kids there as well, either crying for their parents or just confused. But one particular person stood out from the rest. A grown woman with red hair dressed in white stood watching the children. She put a reassuring hand on my shoulder, having a soft expression.

    "Everything's going to be okay, Rosalee," she said. "You're going to be safe."

...

"Rosalee, wake up! We have to go!" Newt said when my eyes fluttered open.

    I was confused as to why we needed to go. But the loud sound of blades whipping around me interrupted my thoughts. Then, I remembered, we were in a helicopter.

    When everyone in our old home, the Glade had decided to leave with us, we fought past the creatures we called Grievers. Unfortunately, some of them had died trying. We finally made it out after being stuck in a Maze for three years, yearning for the taste of freedom. But, a boy that wanted to stay in the Glade named Gally followed us. He had been stung by a Griever, and was out of his mind. He blamed Thomas, a fearless boy that saved all of us, for destroying our home, and came back to finish him off.

    Another boy named Minho put a spear through his chest, ending his life. But, another one was taken at that moment, too. Chuck was his name, and it was very hard to watch him die. He was only a little kid, he deserved so much better. I was so heartbroken that I had held onto his hand as I sobbed. People in armor came and ushered us out though, not giving me, or Thomas, any time to mourn. Newt, another boy I know, and the love of my life dragged me away, even though he knew I was in pain. The last thing I remembered was him carrying me to the helicopter, where we lifted off, seeing the view of the entire Glade, surrounded by endless twists and turns of the Maze before crying myself to sleep.