Chapter 2

~~~~

~~~~

Doctors escorted us to the showers where we would be given hot water and fresh new clothes. Teresa and I went into the females, obviously, while the boys went in the males. After I had stripped down to nothing but my naked body, I turned on the faucet and let warm water fall upon me. I could hear the boys laughing and making weird noises from the other side, but I ignored them. As much as the water felt nice, I didn't feel great. After Chuck's death, I've felt so numb and hurt. After everyone else's death, it was so much depression I couldn't carry. So I just stood there, staring blankly at the wall, feeling empty.

Sometime later, after brushing knots out of my greasy hair and scrubbing dirt and blood off my skin, I had to get out and get dressed into clothes the doctors provided for me. I changed into black sweats and a navy blue and white striped long-sleeve shirt, smelling their clean scent. I left my hair down and went to join Teresa, who was wearing something different than I was.

"You know, if those sweats were jeans and your shirt was green, we would look like twins," Teresa joked.

I giggled. Teresa was another girl in the Glade like me, but she was also the very last. For three weeks, I had been the only female surrounded by fifty boys. I have complained about wanting another girl with me because there were too many boys around. After she came up, I struck up a conversation with her. Or, she did. I instantly became friends with her as she was easy to talk to. She has a special connection with Thomas, more than just friends I'd say. Though they've never kissed, I just knew they liked each other. They also were very close when we were with W.I.C.K.E.D.

We were taken into a room where doctors and scientists needed to run a few tests on us. After all, we ran and fought for our lives, so we had some injuries that needed to be fixed. I had a bloody nose when I fought, so I probably broke it. I saw my friends there when Teresa and I walked in. Minho was on a treadmill, running, I had no clue where Frypan was, or Winston, Thomas was getting his blood drawn, and Teresa was placed on a bed, away from me. I also sat on a bed, sitting cross legged. I glanced around the room, trying to find Newt. I spotted him a little ways farther by Thomas, sitting in a chair. His doctor picked up a syringe, making his eyes widen.

"Uh, wait, what is that?" He asked in a curious tone with a hint of fear in it.

"Just a little cocktail," the doctor simply replied. "Calcium, folate, vitamins A through Z, pretty much everything you've been deprived of out there."

He took Newt's arm and rolled up his sleeve.

"Try to relax," he suggested with a friendly smile.

Newt watched as the doctor injected the syringe into his arm, doing a little bit better after what he told him to do. He glanced up and met my eyes, and instantly, his expression changed into a calm one. I smiled at how cute he looked when he got scared, and I was wishing for him to jump into my arms so I could play with his hair. Newt smiled faintly back at me, blushing. I giggled. I loved it when he blushed, it was adorable.