Chapter 9

~~~~

~~~~

Later that night, we decided to take shelter in an abandoned boat we found. A fire was lit, but no words were exchanged after what happened today. I stared into the orange flames licking the sides of the sticks, laying beside Newt, feeling just as empty when we lost Chuck. Why is this the price we have to pay for wanting to have freedom?.

"I thought we were supposed to be immune," Minho spoke up.

"Not all of us, I guess," Teresa replied, staring into the fire, too.

"If Winston could get infected then we should assume, so can the rest of us," Newt said.

Again, silence. But this time, Frypan spoke up with nostalgia in his voice. Tears were streaming down his face as he spoke.

"I'd never thought I'd say it... I miss the Glade."

I let those words sink in for a moment. Miss the Glade? Everyone except for Teresa and Thomas have been trapped there for three years, but I wasn't. I didn't ever want to go back to that prison, the place that reminded me of those animals that put us in there. Then again, I didn't want anything to do with W.I.C.K.E.D. I was tired, exhausted of fighting those people. But Frypan did have a good point. I miss having my old room, the boys, the Gardens I used to work in everyday to help provide dinner for them. I miss watching them eat like pigs, even though I mentally judged them for their manners. They were good memories. Hopefully, when we make it to The Right Arm, we can create new ones.

We left the fire burning so it could keep us warm as we slept. But just like back at W.I.C.K.E.D.'s facility, I wasn't able to. I laid there with my head on Newt's chest, listening to his steady heart beat rhythmically, staring off into space. Since I wasn't going to be getting any sleep any time soon, I quietly untangled myself from Newt and stood up. I tiptoed past everybody, trying not to wake them up. I went outside behind the boat, looking into the starry night, staring up at the endless sky of stars.

I stood there, completely emotionless, void of anything. Though, I was proud of myself for not sobbing dramatically like when we lost Chuck. But still, it was heartbreaking for both of my brother figures to die, one in front of me and the other with a sound.

"Can't sleep?" A British voice asked.

Well, that was fast. Knowing who it was, I sighed. "How'd you know I was up?"

"You weren't in my arms, and I knew that after everything you'd be up and about."

I stayed there with my back turned to him, not wanting to move. But that was okay, because he moved up behind me, wrapping his strong arms around my stomach and resting his chin on my shoulder. He gave me a simple peck on the cheek, yet it made me feel at peace.

"Do you want to talk about it?" He cooed, his voice vibrating against my shoulder as he spoke.

I stared at the ground, actually not knowing what I should say. But I instantly chose to talk so I could get it off my chest. I didn't know why, but it just came flooding out like a dam that broke.