Chapter 25

Chapter 25

“Are you okay?” Erik asked as we pulled into the driveway of the safe house. We were going back to get some rest and then make sure we were well-equipped to take on whatever was at that abandoned building, if anything.

I faked a smile. “Why wouldn’t I be?”

Erik frowned, not buying it but I got out of the car and headed inside the house. I walked into the kitchen and turned the lights on then jumped. Liz was sitting at the kitchen island watching me with a distant, cold expression.

I scratched my head, unsure of what I should say. All I knew was that it should start with sorry. Erik came into the room and had the exact same reaction as I did a moment ago.

“What are you doing here?” he sighed making small talk. He gave me a pointed look, leading me to believe he wanted me to help out.

“Yeah, and any particular reason you were just sitting in the dark?”

Erik’s eyes widened. “She was just sitting in the kitchen with the lights off?” he turned to Liz bewildered. “Why the hell would you do that?”

She glared at us and stood up. “Well I just can’t do anything right, can I?” she spat. Erik and I took a step back as she advanced towards us, neither of us bothering to answer. It was obvious she didn’t care. “I can do whatever the hell I want. I’m done with listening to you two. Your opinions don’t matter.” Maybe we had underestimated how pissed off Liz would be.

“I’m sorry, Liz. But if the roles were reversed you would have decided the same way we did. We couldn’t let you get hurt,” I said quickly. I knew that whoever would speak first would bear the worst of her anger but I was taking one for the team.

She turned towards me and jabbed her finger into my chest. “I don’t care what you think. Don’t you listen?” She hit herself in the forehead. “Wait, what am I talking about? You never listen to me. You don’t really care about my feelings or anything.” She placed her hands on her hips and I caught Erik with a pitying expression. “I hope you got hurt,” she told me then rolled her eyes. “But it doesn’t look like you did. So really I was left at home for nothing. The only thing wrong with you is an extreme case of greasy hair.”

I inhaled deeply, using that as a way to calm myself. “Actually I was attacked by one of the store owners I visited.” I was getting tired of people bringing up my hair. As soon as this conversation was over I was going to take a shower. Liz’s cold exterior wavered and she seemed unsure before she was once again emotionless.

“Well maybe if you would have taken me along then that wouldn’t have happened,” she replied. “But like I said, you don’t seem too affected. Because if you were then I would have to insist you stayed at home. I would’ve had only the best intentions at heart. Now I guess you guys are going to be going elsewhere? Tracking down this attacker?” Erik and I exchanged looks and our doing so fueled Liz’s anger again. “And you’re not going to take me along I’m guessing.” She shook her head. “Of course, whatever, I don’t care!” she shrieked. Then she stormed off.

Erik looked unsure of what to do. I patted his shoulder. “Trust me, when she gets like this, the only thing, and I mean only thing that will work is giving her some space.” He hadn’t been friends with her for years, I had. So I knew just how to handle her in this mood. Plus, I don’t think I’m brave enough to endure her wrath, just for the sake of her getting over this faster.

Erik nodded and I went upstairs to get the annoying, oily substance out of my hair. As I walked into the bathroom I was greeted by the sight of my reflection, and realized just how bad my hair looked. My hair was flattened down by the stuff and strands of my hair were clumped together and plastered to my forehead. I grimaced and looked away. I couldn’t wait to have my shower and rid my hair of this shit.