Chapter 7

Chapter 7

“So?” Erik prompted. I sighed and shifted on the stool. “What happened?” He and Liz were sitting in front of me. He was impatiently drumming his fingertips on the surface of the countertop.

“I went out for a run. I couldn’t sleep,” I said defensively. Erik and Liz gave me equally unimpressed looks.

“We gathered that, we were wondering what else happened,” Liz replied giving me a pointed look. She gestured to my ripped jeans and then to the red scratches on my hands. Huh, I hadn’t even known I had gotten them, but there they were; long red lines on the back of my hands to my wrists. “As in what happened to you that made you look like this.”

“Keep your voice down,” I hissed looking around. It wouldn’t do any good to have other people discover what happened to me tonight. Liz rolled her eyes but kept silent.

“Are you going to tell us anything or should we just leave because you won’t trust us?” Erik asked with a note of irritation in his voice. Liz nodded as she crossed her arms, she obviously agreed with him. It must be the time of night, why were they up anyways? Not that I was complaining. Because they were awake I got in the house without many people hearing.

“It was just supposed to be a run at first,” I confessed not wanting them to feel annoyed because I was withholding information. I could see they were listening intently and the corners of my lips lifted up. “I just started running, no direction in particular, with no destination in mind. Imagine my surprise when I found out I was where we saw Gabriel and Alexandria by using the mirror.”

“How is that possible?” Erik mused, more to himself than me. Liz’s eyes were wide and she looked confused. Like me, they had no answer or guess to how I had found my way there. Since we had no other ideas we’d have to chalk it up to being a coincidence.

“I have no clue,” I said answering him anyways. “I continued to the exact spot and crossed paths with Gabriel. I don’t know why he was there, but I didn’t ask.” Their confused looks turned into outrage as they both jumped to the conclusion that Gabriel had attacked me.

“Gabriel attacked you?” Liz inquired rather loudly. I gave her a warning glance and she looked down avoiding my eyes, reminding me of a scolded child. She fiddled with the hem at the bottom of her white floral top.

“He’s just jealous,” Erik said trying to make me feel better. “He also clearly has nothing better to do then hang around deserted streets waiting for people to come by.”

“It didn’t seem that way,” I protested. “Nothing hinted that he really cared about Alexandria. Their relationship probably wasn’t even a real one.” I had thought so at the time but now that I think about it they had never seemed like they were in a relationship.

“Then why did he attack you?” Liz pointed out.

“He didn’t attack me,” I sighed. They were so quick to blame Gabriel. “Well he slammed me into a wall and threatened me, but that’s it. Nothing compared to the second time I was attacked.”

“Then who did?” she responded. I shrugged. “You don’t know?” Her voice was incredulous. I shook my head. “Did you see them? Do you know what they look like? Do you remember any unusual features or characteristics? Something we can use to find whoever attacked?”

“They attacked me when I was coming back,” I explained. “It was so weird; I didn’t even catch a glimpse of them. So no, I remember nothing physical to help find them.”

Liz looked disappointed. “You got away though?” Liz replied. “So you beat them?” I shook my head again and she frowned trying to make sense of everything. “Then what happened?”