Chapter 3

Chapter 3

The next morning I knocked on Erik’s door and it opened almost immediately. I frowned when I saw no one near the door and shook my head at Erik. He had just used magic to open the door.

“Really, you’re too lazy to open the door yourself?” I asked rolling my eyes. Erik was lying on his bed with a few books spread out in front of him. I sat down on the edge of his bed and tried to see what he was reading but it was in another language. Erik shrugged.

It’s just easier,” he replied. “Plus it gives me a chance to practice magic, hopefully I’ll get better.” I sighed but said nothing more.

“So what is all this?” I inquired gesturing to all the things spread out on his bed. “It looks like another language.”

“Yeah, that’s cause it is,” Erik answered sarcastically. “It’s the language most magic is written in. its not one commonly used in the world now.”

“So these are magic books?” I asked more curious now that I knew what they were. Erik nodded before turning his attention back to the page he was reading before I had entered his room. “How do you know how to read them? Wouldn’t it have taken you a while to learn a completely new language that you didn’t know before meeting your father?”

“My father gave them to me just before he left.” Erik’s father had gone off to take care of something. He hadn’t given many details and no one had asked. I knew my family felt more comfortable without the witch here though. “I can’t explain how I know how to read this. It’s just like I had the ability to since I was born and now that I try to read them, they just make sense. I can read them when I don’t really concentrate on deciphering the words. When I actually try to think about the words I get a headache and don’t understand anything.”

“Why are you looking in them?” I asked as I picked a book up and rifled through the pages. The alphabet used in the book seemed normal with the exception of a few characters. There were certain symbols and diagrams on the pages as well.

“I thought they might help with the Alexandria problem,” Erik said dismissively. I raised an eyebrow and he rolled his eyes before continuing. “I think I may have found some possibilities but we won’t know for sure until we test them out.” He reached out and took the book out of my hands. He flipped back to the page he was on before I had taken the book away.

“What kind of possibilities?”

“Well we can always turn ourselves invisible and follow, or just mask ourselves with magic so she won’t know we’re there. Those two options are similar. Then there are also far away options. We can keep an eye on her from here with magic. We just enchant a reflective surface and then we’ll be able to see what’s going on around Alexandria.” I nodded my thoughts whirling around in my head. That was much more than we had yesterday. “It all depends on if you want to be there or if you’re fine with staying here and remotely watching. Those options I told you are the easier ones out of the things we could do. The others are a bit more tricky and unpredictable.”

“What are you talking about?” I asked, his comment broke my train of thought and I stared at him confused. Was it even worth it to do those type of spells if they were difficult and go wrong?

“Well instead of you going there physically we can try and send you there but not physically.” Erik sighed when he realized he wasn’t explaining very well. “It will seem like you’re there but no one will be able to see you and in reality your body will be back here. You would have only travelled there in your mind.”

“So why don’t we just do that?” I didn’t see how they could go wrong, then again I’m not a witch. I didn’t know any of what was on the pages of those magic books. I had to rely on Erik.