Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Liz sighed and rubbed her eyes. “How long was this supposed to take? It doesn’t look like anything’s happening.” It was true but I just hadn’t felt like saying it while Erik’s father still was hopeful for a miracle. I shot Liz a look to make her shut up but it was too late.

Max White stood up from the side of the bed. “I wasn’t really considering this as an option that would actually work but I had hoped that maybe I was wrong. If it would have worked Erik would have woken up soon after the potion was given to him. I was just in denial.”

His shoulders were slumped, there were prominent dark shadows under his eyes and he had an air of desolation. He walked out of the room before we could say anything to try and comfort him. But really, what could we say that would make him feel better?

“I’m so annoyed with everything,” I muttered, looking away from Erik’s still form then I too got up and walked away. I heard footsteps behind me and knew that Liz was following me, although for what reason I didn’t know. I picked up my speed in hopes of leaving her behind.

“Damien, wait,” Liz called after me. The distance between us had grown and when I got to my room I had enough time to shut and lock the door so she wouldn’t come inside. She tried the door handle then knocked. “Let me in,” she whispered, knowing somehow that I was still near the door and could hear her. “If you need someone to talk to I’ll listen. You can talk about Alexandria.”

I opened the door and raised an eyebrow. “Why exactly would I want to talk to you about her? That’s personal and something I would tell only to a friend, but you haven’t exactly been acting like a friend the last little while.”

Liz frowned. “I’m sorry, I know I haven’t been much of a friend recently but I want to change. You can trust me.”

“How can you say that? I trusted you with helping me find out what Alexandria was hiding from me and you ended up telling her. Why’d you tell her?” I asked her, fury in my voice.

“I thought that your relationship,” she said while making a face, “wasn’t good for you. I was just trying to look out for you.”

“Everyone seems to be trying to do that, and I really wish they would leave my life alone,” I snapped. “You thought it was best to get Alexandria to leave, she thought that she’s protecting me by keeping secrets. Everyone needs to understand that I can handle things; they don’t need to make decisions for me like a child.”

“Everyone knows you can handle your own problems, they just are trying to make your life easier,” Liz replied. “I think that had something to do with why Alexandria was keeping secrets, even though I still think she has another motive.”

“Yeah, well maybe you were right about her,” I told her. “Maybe getting close to her was a mistake,” my voice getting louder. “I don’t know what I was thinking. She’s just a vampire, and like every vampire, they can’t be trusted.”

I walked closer to the window; memories of her on the balcony overwhelmed me, only I didn’t feel sadness anymore, just anger. Frustration trapped inside of me with no outlet to get out. I hated that I felt like this. My fist clenched and I felt the need to punch things. I saw my reflection in the window pane and for some reason it angered me more. The next thing I knew pain was coming from my hand and there was shattered glass on the floor.

I stared down at my hand, at the bright red droplets of blood seeping out of the cuts on my knuckles. I clenched my fist and more blood appeared. Liz slowly walked over to me, eyeing me with wariness. She placed a hand on my shoulder and grabbed my hand inspecting the injury. She didn’t comment on what I had just done, and for that I was grateful.