Chapter 12

Chapter 12

The person that Alexandria was taking us to didn’t live in the city. In order to remain “safe” the witch lived far away from any civilization. Apparently we can only drive to a certain point and then after we were to walk. The witch lived near no roads that a car could drive on.

“So, maybe I will just remain in the car when we have to stop driving,” Liz suggested. Alexandria didn’t bother replying. I turned to look at Liz in the back seat.

“You decided to go, you can’t exactly back out now,” I told her.

“Fine,” Liz sighed.

“Plus, I don’t think I want you in my car alone, I don’t trust you,” Alexandria muttered. Liz rolled her eyes. “Alexandria pulled into a empty parking lot and parked. “The walking portion of this trip is about to begin. Get out of the car.”

I got out of the car but Liz decided to be stubborn. She crossed her arms and remained seated in the car. Alexandria’s eyes narrowed and she opened the door to the back. Liz scooted over to the other side of the car and I opened the door on my side. Liz looked up at me and I gestured for her to get out.

Liz sighed and got out of the car. I got the feeling she didn’t appreciate that I had sided with Alexandria for her to get out of the car. I shut the door after her then looked around.

“So…where to now?” I asked. There was a small convenience store that didn’t look as if it ever was busy, dirt track though a field and a forest. Alexandria pointed to the forest.

“I should have known,” Liz complained. “Maybe you should have told me so I could get dressed in something more appropriate for hiking. Is this going to be a long hike?”

“Suck it up,” Alexandria replied. “We’ll get there when we get there. Don’t you want Erik to wake up?” Liz glared at her. She hated that Alexandria would even say that. “The sooner we get there, the sooner we find out a solution and get to leave.”

Alexandria started walking towards the forest. She didn’t look dressed for a hike. She was wearing a short jean skirt and some flats. At least Liz was wearing black converse.

I shrugged and followed with Liz. “Anything we need to know about this witch before we get there?”

Alexandria considered my question. “Be careful what you say to her. She’s sensitive and will kick us out before getting the help you need.”

“That’s it? You don’t have any more information about her?” Liz asked.

“Of course I do, it’s just not relevant,” Alexandria said.

“Why do you get to choose if it’s relevant or not, it’s not fair?” Liz demanded. I wonder if I will have to step in and stop this argument like all the others they had.

“Next time we go somewhere,” Alexandria told her, “you’re not coming along. You just need to be patient. I know I’m asking a lot of you but just try to be patient and not annoyingly curious.”

There wasn’t much talking during the rest of the hike. We were mostly focusing on getting there and hoping that this witch would know what to do.

I don’t know where I was expecting this witch to live but I was thinking it was maybe after we got out of the forest. Instead we came across a small cabin in the forest. No wonder no one could drive right to this place.

Alexandria stepped up to the door but it swung open before she could knock. She nodded for Liz and I to go in before. I stepped into the cabin and looked around. We were in a small room with a table and bookshelves. There were doors leading to other rooms but they were shut.