Chapter 16

Chapter 16

When Alexandria saw that I wasn’t going to do this in front of an audience she spun on her heel and went outside. I followed feeling tired. I would have liked to avoid this, or at least postpone it but Liz had had other ideas.

I noticed that she didn’t have her car when we finally got outside. I wondered why to distract myself. She didn’t need the car but I knew she liked the car just because she could drive fast.

“Care to explain what she was talking about?” Alexandria asked quietly. I risked a look at her and judging by her expression she was barely containing her anger. I tried deciding what I should say and but was unsure. “I take it that your silence means what she said was true? You were looking into what I’m doing? You don’t have the right to know if I don’t want anyone to know,” her voice escalating into a shout.” She sighed and closed her eyes focusing on calming down.

“I’m sorry. I just had a feeling that whatever you were involved in wasn’t good,” I replied. “That one day that your friend Nicole was over I heard some of your conversation. I know there is something you’re keeping from me. You were talking about things I don’t have the right to do? Yeah well, you don’t have the right to keep secrets from me when I’m involved.”

“I am only trying to keep you safe. What does it matter if you don’t have the specifics of everything I’m doing?” she sighed.

“You can’t decide what I know or do not know. If I’m in danger or something I need to know. I need to be prepared.”

“That’s just it! You can’t prepare yourself for this. You’ve never dealt with anything like this. Telling you would only make you worry,” Alexandria snapped. “Out of anyone I should be the one trying to save you. I know the most about this situation you’re in. you can’t do anything to save yourself. You don’t know enough about this to do something helpful.”

“What are you talking about,” I yelled. “I’m sick of all the damn secrets people keep from me. Jeremy kept secrets from me and you saw how that ended up.”

Next thing I knew my back was pressed against the wall of the house. Alexandria’s eyes were very dark, not really purple anymore, mostly black. She had a hand placed on my chest keeping me against the wall. Her canines were elongated, glinting dangerously.

“Are you implying that I’m like Jeremy? That I’ll betray you in the end?” she inquired threateningly. “There’s nothing that I would get out of stabbing you in the back by keeping a secret from you. I can’t believe you would accuse me of something like that.” She stepped back giving me space. The wind blew moving her hair into her eyes but she didn’t care to fix it. I could have sworn I saw hurt flash through her eyes.

“Of course not, I’m just saying me getting hurt in the process of keeping things from me to keep me safe may not be your intention,” I blurted out before I realized that wasn’t wise. But my anger was quickly overpowering my logic. “Nicole doesn’t seem like she thinks keeping things from me is a good idea, neither does Gabriel.”

Alexandria looked up sharply, her eyes narrowed. “When did you talk to Gabriel?” she inquired but she seemed to make the connections quickly. “You went to see him that night that I picked you up and drove you back here. How did you…Erik….he helped you spy on me with magic?” she spat out the word as if it disgusted her. “Unbelievable. If you don’t trust me this much then why did you still want to be with me?”

“I do trust you I just-” I began.

“You just what, want to know about every little thing I do? You want to know what I’m doing and where I am at every moment of every day?” she cut in. “They have a word to describe that, a few actually, like demanding, controlling, possessive, that your pick.”