Chapter 15- Little voice

“How do we know there aren’t anymore?” Max interrogated throwing the remains of the last shattered camera into the trash.

Russ’s dead body was still in the bathroom. We hadn’t done anything with it yet, we decided we should probably get all the cameras down first even though it would have made no difference.

Hayes had already got everything he needed.

“The shithead was proud of himself, he wanted us to know how many there were, he had nothing to lose there wasn’t much use for them anymore since it had pretty much been up all night.” Justin answered, joining me on the couch.

“I’m gonna get Nate to clear out my apartment real quick, I’ll be back in a sec so we can sort this out.” I heard Max stomping down the hall before the front door shut.

A silence came over us and my eyes remained straight ahead watching the bright lights of the city stand out from the dark night that surrounded it.

I’m still wrapping my head around everything. Someone was killed in my apartment. Someone was in my apartment. They knew all my friends along with everyone else that was here. Will I be able to protect them all?

“Are you scared of me?” Justin’s voice was raspy and low.

“What?” I turned to look at him.

He cleared his throat, “Are you scared of me?” he repeated.

“Why would you think that?”

“You haven’t said anything since I- um.”

“Killed Russ?” I finished for him. He nodded. “I’m not scared of you. I’m just thinking that’s all.”

I had killed people myself, watching someone else do it couldn’t make me scared.

“I thought I just scarred you for life.”

“No, I can handle it.” I twisted my head with a smile which he sent back.

“Come here.” He pulled me to straddle his lap.

Whether it’s the couch or the kitchen counter I somehow always end up with him between my damn legs! Is the universe trying to tell me something?

“Why do you always do this?” I shook my head, peeking at him through my lashes.

“I’m making sure you’re telling me the truth.” He took my hands in his, putting them over his shoulders. I cooperatively linked my fingers behind his neck and he circled his arms around my hips.

“You don’t believe that I’m not scared of you?”

“I just needed the reassurance.”

“Does this reassure you enough?”

“A little.” He settled. I titled my head at him taking the chance to look over his features.

 Why did it bother him so much? Never, could I ever look at him differently for what he did. I have always said that I had no problems for killings within gangs. That’s just what happens when you’re part of one. Did I judge him? No. Did I only see him as that person who had no problem killing someone without flinching? No. Why? Because I know Justin and I know who he is when a gang is not involved. Killing didn’t define him as a person.

Everyone has a dark side to them. Everyone is capable of taking a life. Only with certain people does that dark side show more than others.

I slid my hands down his bare body to rest near the waistband of his pants. He still hadn’t put a shirt on. My head rested on his shoulder and I spoke in a hushed tone, “I’m not scared of you, I promise and if I ever do get scared, I’ll tell you.”