Chapter 23: Firelord Rina

That fateful night when we defeated Kurvira and I met Mako replayed in my mind over and over as I silently watched my handmaids dote over my hair and formal wear. They were doing my best to try and cheer me up but the palace had a solemn aura. Normally coronations are a time of celebration but with my mother's funeral only taking place a day before, everything felt very rushed. The door to the chambers opened and Mako walked in giving me a small smile. He had his formal wear on that was a wedding gift from the nation, as he was expected to wear them for our wedding. "Thank you girls, you've done amazing work," I say, they bow and take their leave. I stand up and walk over to Mako wrapping my arms around him. I rest my face against his chest as he rubs my back soothingly. "I just can't believe that by tonight, I will be the Firelord. I feel like I'm betraying my Mother"  

"You're not. She would be so proud of you, you need to stop blaming yourself, Rina." He scolds. I nod and he brushes his hand over my cheek making me look up at him. He rests his forehead against mine, "I promise, no matter what happens I'll be by your side to support you." 

"Thank you," I whisper closing the space between our lips. We stand there for a minute just wrapped together. If I was my choice I would stay like that forever. I sigh and peck his lips one last time before there was a knock on the door. "Come in," Mako and I separate as we watch the door. My Grandparents walks in with smiles on their faces, it didn't match their eyes though. Grandma walks up to me and fiddles with my formal wear. It was the first time I was wearing the Firelord's robes, they were heavier and more ornate than my former wear. I had chosen to use my mother's robes instead of having new ones tailored for me, as it made me feel like she was walking beside me. 

"You look just as she did," She smiles and kisses my cheek. We turn my Grandpa who just watched me, Grandma loops her arm through mine as we walk towards the doors. "Come on, Sweet Rina, your nation awaits." 

I stood behind the doors waiting for them to open. Guards, both Fire Nation and White Lotus, lined my path and the light shone in as the doors were pushed open. The chattering of the crowd died down as I took a deep breath, Mako, my grandparents and my brother stood on the steps before the crowd watching me. Mako mouths "I love you," I mouth the same back to him before taking my first steps towards my future. The crowd came into view as my eyes got used to the bright sun, hundreds of people stood behind lines of chairs full respected people from around the world and three cameras that were directed at me. At the front sat Tenzin and his family with Korra, Asami and Bolin. I hold myself back from waving down at them. Everyone cheers and cries I take a moment to appreciate my people. They're stubborn, loyal and brave. I clear my throat and slowly the crowd quiets down. 

A great roar sounds and Tuila circles the courtyard behind descending towards me. She lands behind me and sits down directly behind me. I could feel her hot breath on my back as I tried to calm my nerves.

"Seventy-Five years ago, Firelord Zuko stood here in front of his friends and allies as he marked the end of the hundred-year war. Eight years ago, Firelord Izumi stood here in front of her family, friends and a peaceful nation as I do today. Though the circumstances of my succession have been devasting, I will continue to look after our nation as my Grandfather and Mother did before me. With the help of my allies, friends and family, I will continue to direct the Fire Nation into a bright future full of peace and safety." 

I kneel onto the ground placing my hands neatly onto my knees. I held my head high as I stared out into the crowd. The Fire Priests carefully took my headpiece out of my hair and brought out the Firelord's Headpiece. They placed it in and stepped away from me as I slowly arose, "All hail, Firelord Rina." 

I stand up and look at my family. Each of them had tears brimming their eyes especially Mako, who took a moment to wipe the stray ones off his cheek. I walk forward to the edge of the steps and the crowd cheers again. I take a deep breath.

I smile as Mako comes up to me and wraps his arm around my waist, he kisses my forehead as I nuzzle my face into his neck. "The party waits," He mumbles. A formal dinner was being held for all the guests, I wasn't too interested but my attendance was mandatory as it was in my honour. Mako walks a step behind me as we enter the hall. Everyone was mingling amongst each other and turned as I entered, they all clapped me in and I humbly waved at everyone. A few lords and their wives come up to congratulate me then came Tenzin and his family. 

"Firelord Rina," Tenzin bows and his family follows. I bow back and bring him into a hug aswell of Pema, his wife. Jinora, Ikki and Rohan also embrace me while Meelo kissed my hand and flirted with me. I cast an amused smile back at Mako who wraps his arm around me. 

"Meelo, you better not be moving in on my girl." He says jokingly to the younger boy. Meelo says nothing but winks at me before moving over to the buffet. 

"You have no idea how much I have missed you over these past days. It's hard when your friends are a nation away." I state, Mako takes my hand and squeezes it as I start to tear up. The younger girls give me another hug as Pema and Tenzin share a sad glance. 

"You have been doing such a great job in light of what has happened, I implore you to take some time off once everything is settled. You can come to visit us in Republic City and if you ever need help, please do not hesitate to ask." Tenzin says, I nod and we chat a little more before they move on to allow other people to chat to me. Avatar Korra and Asami come up next, they smile and bow before hugging me tightly. 

"I'm so sorry about your Mum, but I'm excited to be able to work with you in keeping the peace between the nations," Korra states, I smile and take her hand give it a quick squeeze. 

"Remember you are welcome in the palace anytime, I would appreciate a visit every now and then," I reply. She smiles and the couple moves on to continue their night. Before I could do anything, I saw the boys black hair and then felt him slamming into me. Mako quickly tries to help me but laughs when he recognises his younger brother, Opal rushes up behind him as Bolin cries into her shoulder. 

"You are so brave Rina, your Mum, then your wedding and now all this responsibility. I'm so glad we are best friends!" He cries, Rina laughs and pats the boys back as his girlfriend apologises for his behaviour. Few people stare at them in a judging manner, it was not proper for the Firelord to be hugged in such a manner. 

"Bolin, please, you must let go people are staring," Mako whispers to him. He lets go and takes his brother into a tight hug, Opal and Rina giggle at their two loves.