Chapter 4: The Thing

"Stand down. This battle is over. I owe the Avatar my life, her power is beyond anything I could ever hope to achieve, I'll accept whatever punishment the world sees fit." Kuvira says, I stare at her surprised. Lin and Su, cuff her and take her away, I pull Korra into a tight hug. I wince at the sudden pressure against my burn, I grit my teeth and step away from her. 

The other join us, "Korra, what you have done is amazing!" I exclaim. I step towards Mako, who opens his ups inviting me into a hug. I wrap my arms around him, I notice the smell of smoke that still haunts our clothing. 

"Incredible," Tenzin says, from the corner of my eye I notice United Republic Soldiers walking in to survey the area. I let go of Mako and put my head up searching for my Brother, he is their general. I stop him in the corner, a solemn look across his face. 

"Iroh!" I shout happily, he smiles once he spots me. I tackle him into a hug forcing him to catch me.  A tear rolls down my cheek but I quickly wipe it away. "Come I want you to meet someone,"

I pull him over to Mako and Bolin who stand around smiling, "This is Mako and Bolin, they have both saved my life on multiple occasions."

"Well, we wouldn't say that. You evened it out with that awesome. blue. flame. firebending!" Bolin says doing 'moves as says with each word, Iroh looks at me with his eyebrows raised but then his face drops. "Or she didn't."

"Sorry, thank you for keeping my sister safe but I need to talk to her in private." I glance up at him confused, he drags me over to a deserted area of the vines. "I wanted to tell you before you leave for the Earth Kingdom but you should know now."

"What is it? Did Grandpa die?!" I ask a bit too loudly, he shakes his head and I sigh in relief.

"I'm abdicating my right to the throne." He states, my eyes widen.

"You're what?!" I shout shocked. He covers my mouth with his hand and shakes his head.

"I haven't told Mum yet, so I need you to keep it a secret." He says I nod, "I'm doing it cause I don't want to become Fire Lord, I want to continue as a General."

"But you've been train for this your whole life," I say, he looks down and I notice the strain on his face. "But if it's what you want, I support you."

"Thank you Rina," He hugs me again, I rest my chin on his shoulder. "I'm going to tell her when I get home then you will be expected to come home for a couple of months."

"How long until you get home?" I ask, my eyebrows creasing.

"Three months but it will be okay, Mum's not leaving the throne anytime soon." He says trying to comfort me, I put on a fake smile. "Are you still planning to go to the Earth Kingdom?"

"Yes but I'll go there if I'm needed. I have some personal business that I need to deal with here." I state looking at my new friends.

-

-

"And though the battle took a severe toll on our beloved city, out of the destruction, love did bloom!" Bolin says, a couple days after the battle, Varrick and Zhu Li are getting married. All their friends and family are here, even I was invited through I brought a weird guest but she was sent away for disturbing the peace. "So that is why, dearest friends and family, we gather today to celebrate the wondrous and at time inexplicable bond between sir Varrick and the Lady Zhu Li!"

Varrick scolds a camera man, that is filming the wedding for not having the camera on him.

"True love is a fickle creature. Difficult to find, nearly impossible to tame but Varrick and Zhu Li that even the longest of long shots can have a chance at happiness together. Now for the vows!" A small fire ferret climbs onto Bolin's should, he plucks a paper scroll from it. "Thank you, Master Pabu. Do you, Sir Iknik Blackstone Varrick of the Southern Water Tribe, Master of the High Seas, take the Lady Zhu Li Moon to be your lawfully wedded wife? Will you promise to treat her not as your assistant but as your honored and cherished partner?"

"You're darn tootin' I do!" Varrick exclaims.

"And do you, Zhu Li take Varrick to be your lawfully wedded husband? Do you promise to care for him in sickness and in health." Bolin looks down at the paper confused. "and also scrub his callouses on a bi-weekly basis, which... isn't really that much to ask..." Bolin crumbles the paper and looks at Varrick confused. "Okay, I'm not reading all this."

"I do take Varrick. Callouses and all." Zhu Li states, they start to lean in and Bolin takes a couple of steps back.

"You may now, do the thing." They kiss and the crowd applauds and cheers then Varrick begins to cry.

"Are you all right?" Zhu Li asks him, he says something to her then pulls out a remote. Fireworks shoot off into the sky, I smile staring up at the> I stand up and walk the stairs to a gazebo where my guest sits peacefully.

"Tuila..." I coo walking in front of her, she looks up at me then turns her head away from me. I kneel down in front of her and rub her hairy face, her eye like eyes turn back to me. "See you can't be angry at me it was your own fault. If you didn't try to eat Meelo we wouldn't be in this mess."

She grumbles and closes her eyes, I rub her large whiskers and her horns. Her large snake like body wraps around it's self as she tries to go to sleep, I sigh and sit down next to her and lean back.

Instead of my formal wear which I would wear every other time. I wear a red dress that loosely hangs down, heels and a black necklace that is decorated with golden beads. My hair falls down my back dead straight, a few smaller strands framing my face.

"I didn't ever think I would become Fire Lord but it looks like I'm now the first one in line," I say, Tuila places her head on my lap, I comb my fingers through her fur. "Better squirt out some kids."

I laugh to myself, I hear footsteps walk towards us. Tuila lifts her head to look but then she lays it back down, it must not be a highly train assassin then.

I look up, Mako's head pokes over her body. "I never seen a dragon before, nor did I expect it to be owned when I did." He says gliding his hand across her back, smiling and shaking his head.

"I don't own her, she just likes me. Ran and Shaw, her ancestors, gifted me with her with I traveled to the Sun Village to learn the Dancing Dragon Technique." I explain, he nods and sits down next to me. "I'm the only person outside of the village to learn the Dancing Dragon other than my great uncle Iroh, my grandpa and Avatar Aang."

"Why didn't your brother or mother go to learn?" He asks curious.

"Because they were both first in line, and It was like a game of chance. If Ran and Shaw didn't think you were worthy, you would be killed." I state looking down, he raises his eyebrow and expresses empathy. "I'm okay with that, I've had more freedom than Iroh but I still am respected the same."

"Sounds like a fun life." He says sarcastically, I stand up and hold my hand down to him. He grabs it confused, Tuila eyes me carefully. "Where are you taking me?"

"To the dance floor, it that okay with you Detective Mako?" I ask teasing him, he smirks and lets me pull him up. I drag him to the crowded dance floor, a slow song comes on.

I place my hand on his shoulder, his hand travels to my waist, our hands grasped together. We awkwardly dance until I rest my chin on my hand on his shoulder, I can feel his gaze on me. "Thank you Rina."

I turn my head so I'm looking up at him, I look at him questionably. "What for?"

"Staying with me in the engine room and for helping keep my brother safe." He mutters quietly he places his lips gingerly on my cheek, I look at him surprised.

"I... Uh..." I stutter embarrassed, he smiles as I blush. "Oh Sozin."