Chapter 19: Red Sapphire

My breath was visible in the cold air as I waited for my family to come down from the hotel room, a few people scurried past towards the Great Hall where my Uncle's wedding is to take place in under an hour. I jump as an arm around my waist, I turn and come face-to-face with a laughing Mako. "Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you." I scrunch my nose up and him as he smiles innocently at me. He pecks my lips and we look at the people who trudge towards us. I press my face into Mako's suit trying to warm it as he turns to the person. "Hey, Bo."

"Mako, it's freezing warm me too." He cries before squeezing himself between Mako and I. The Firebender pushes his younger brother away while I step back laughing. My family comes through the doors and Bolin's mouth falls open slightly. "I will never get used to you being apart of the Royal Family, Mako."

"I'm not apart of it, I'm dating one of its members." He says, my Grandfather's eyebrows shoot up at the boy's statement and he places his hand on his shoulder. Mako has gotten used to the harshness of my Grandpa's mannerisms and looks less frightened each interaction they have. "Sir?"

"You're apart of the family, Kid. If you weren't you, Izumi wouldn't have let you live in the Palace." He states, Mako look at him surprised. I take his hand and stare up at him with a soft smile. Our family starts walking towards the Great Hall, my Grandpa complaining about the lack of heating and then telling us about the time he kidnapped the Avatar in the Northern Water Tribe.

I clutched Mako's hand as Kasumi walked down the aisle towards my Uncle who's smile radiated love. Her blonde hair flowed down her back like water as her blue lace dress created patterns on the snow ridden ground. My eyes swelled up as they said their vows to each other and as they kissed, Mako put his arm over my shoulders and pulled me into him. I glanced up at the handsome man, every time his gaze was on me, it made my heart swoon. Since our first months dating, I knew I wanted to marry this man. Now according to his brother, he was about to get on one knee and ask me to share the rest of his life.

As the night carried on, Mako and I found each other on the dance floor after numerous other dance partners. He wrapped his arms around me and I rested my head on his shoulder as the band played a slow yet powerful ballad that Kya, Katara's daughter had once sung to me when I was just a little girl. Couples around us followed our lead as they all watched the newly wedded bride and groom take centre stage. I looked at Mako and he leaned into me placing a soft kiss on my lips. As we parted a small smirk came onto his face, "We were slow dancing when I first kissed you,"

"You kissed me on the cheek, that is not a real first kiss," I laugh, he smiles and kisses me on my cheek again. I blush and glance at him my our noses were so close and his eyes poured into mine. "It was very Romantic though," I stuttered as he leaned in again. He smiles and runs finger curls a stray hair beside my cheek. "I love you so much."

"I love you too." He said tears brimming his eyes, I smile and cup my hand over his cheek. "I'm so happy that you came to Republic City to help us, meeting you is the best day of my life so far."

As the song ends, he takes my hand and leans me towards the balcony. My chest beating harder as the door opens, I look back into the room and spot Bolin, Korra and Asami staring at us. They look away quickly and my stomach twists, is he going to ask me now. The doors close and I pull my hand away from Mako's he quickly turns to me with a confused gaze. "What's wrong, Ri?"

"Mako, will you marry me?" I question stepping towards him. His eyes widened. He reaches into his pocket as a starts laughing, he pulls out a small silver ring with a red sapphire. He takes my hand and slips the ring on, I look at it and then look Mako who was watching me with a kind smile. "I'll take that as a yes."

"Of course, I'll marry you!" He laughs. He takes my face between his hands and kisses me. He kisses down my neck as I take another look at the ring, he stops and takes my outstretched hand. "I should have known you'd ask me before I got the chance too."

"Yes, you should have." I state before pecking his lips. We rejoin the party and Bolin rushes over to us with Korra and Asami behind him. The younger boy grabs my hand and looks at the beautiful ring, "Bolin, looks like you'll be apart of the Royal Family too."

He looks up at me shocked, "Me? Oh my god." He says quietly, he hugs me and I laugh. Korra and Asmai hug Mako and they turn to me.

"Congratulations. I think I speak for the world when I say this union was expected," Korra says embracing me. Asami asks to see the ring and we both gush about how pretty it is. Bolin turns to us and says we should announce the engagement.

"No, I want to keep it private just until we get back to the Fire Nation. My Uncle has always been pushed to the side, today his day and I don't want to ruin it." I say looking up at Mako, he nods and Bolin's shoulders slump in defeat. I take Korra and Asami's hands and drag them to the dance floor, "Come on, we all need to dance more! I don't get party like this very often."

As we dance, I spot my Uncle Yuri. He couldn't keep his eye's of his wife, I knew what he life was like being the second child to the Firelord. The child who was always given gifts and responsibilities to make them feel more important while their sibling was given time and a legacy. Until a year ago, I thought my life would hold the same amount of freedom and disregard but now I am the apple of the nations eyes.