Chapter 12: Yuri

The beach was crowded that day, Grandpa and Grandma had borrowed me for the week while my Mother and Brother were dealing with international relations in Republic City. I rushed to the water while my grandparents were looking and dove into the water, the water engulfed me. I was four years old and I remember being terrified until I felt his grasp. My grandfather stood above me fear clouding his eyes as he embraced me, my Grandma had tears rolling down her cheeks. After that event, I was banned from the beach for a day but the secluded them from the beach as well. The Chern family is a loyalist family who has been friends with the royal family since the end of the 100-year war. Their youngest daughter had a son a year older than me, Tomiichi. To keep me entertained they invited them over so I could get to know the son.

13 years after that while our parents secretly discussed out potential marriage. Tomiichi and I were in a relationship that benefited the crown and me, I couldn't be happier. That was until his father sent him to the Earth Kingdom for what I thought was work experience but there were rumours of his relationship with a female worker. I realised how much our relationship was constricting my relationship with my duty, family, and friends. My mother was furious when I told her of the breakup but once the rumours reached her ear, she fell silent on the matter. We never talked of him after that except for one moment while she was tired and had a few wines, "The rumours of Tomiichi were true, the woman became pregnant and they paid her to leave for Republic City. To honour our relationship with the family we shall help them contain their dignity, we shall never mention this act to anyone outside of this room."

I lost interest in the boy, I lost respect and soon he drifted from my memory. Until his return this winter to Ember Island, the only time I would be there. My eyes blink open, Mako slept soundly next to me still. I swing my legs over the side of the bed and slowly rise, I wander to the window where the sun is beginning to reveal itself. I attempt to drag the chair over silently, it squeaks against the wood. I wearily watch Mako stir before turning over, I sigh and sit on the chair. I rest my head on my hand watch the stars disappear because of the new light.

Today is the last day of being confined to the island, the search for the Sozin Fires has been unsuccessful except for a few captured from the attack. But it is also my last day with Mako before he travels with Wu to the Earth Kingdom. I look at Mako's back, his muscles moved each breath. He has informed me of his wishes to get an assignment within the fire nation. I have no position available for him by my side but as it draws closer to summer many women will be leaving to have children. But there is still no guarantee that he will receive it.

I wander into the kitchen, my mother and grandmother chat away. Both their white hair messy from sleep, with no public allowed a certain distance to the beach house, we have rare freedom to not perfect our appearances as soon as we arise. They glance at me and smiles grace their face, I look at them suspiciously as I grab an ash banana. A man steps into the kitchen, "Uncle Yuri!" I exclaim running at the older man, I throw myself at him forcing him to catch me. He looked much older these days, his dark brown hair was beginning to become silver much like my mother's. "You didn't tell me you were coming."

"We discussed that it would be happier keeping it a surprise." He says, he looks down at me and pats my hair down. Over his shoulder I notice Mako walk in, his hair still devilish. My uncle follows my gaze and looks at the handsome man, "You must be Prince Wu, it is a pleasure to meet you. I love that you decided to create states within the Earth Kingdom."

"Uncle, no," I mutter placing my hand on his shoulder, I gesture at Mako while my uncle looks down at me confused. "This is Mako, Wu's bodyguard, and my boyfriend."

"It's great to finally meet you, sir, though Rina hasn't mentioned you much." He says, giving me a look. I smile innocently and Uncle laughs. "What is so funny?" He awkwardly chuckles.

"Don't worry about it Rako, as the younger child of Lord Zuko. I was never mentioned, that is what lets me do what I love without royal backlash." I sigh as my uncle gets his name wrong, I shoot him an apologetic look with is responded to by a smile. Turning away I notice the two ladies giggling in the background, while my uncle explains to Mako his line of work I decide to investigate their childish giggling.

"So Ri, how was your night?" Mum asks a smirk across her face, I look between the women utterly confused. But my mother's bedroom is right next to mine, I scrunch my nose up and sit in the chair across from them. "Your relationship is moving forward quite quickly,"

"Is it love I smell?" My Grandma asks jokingly sniffing the air, I blush and cover my face. All three of us turn to look at Mako, who was still trapped talking to my uncle. He had a kind smile across his face as he actively listened to the old blabbering man, even my Grandpa loses interest in hearing of my Uncles work. Grandma would always tell me, it was because Grandpa was similar to a grumpy cat owl. But I noticed her zoning out a few times. "He's in the fire nation because he is traveling to the Southern Water Tribe, he tells me he wants to settle down there."

"He can live with Aunt Katara." Mum notes, I chuckle before noticing a small piece of paper sticking out from my Uncle robe. I leap out of my chair and snatch the paper, it was a picture of a pretty water tribe woman. I glance up at my uncle who looks at me shocked, Grandma quickly rushes over to me and takes the picture. Mum notices it, "Are you getting married, Yuri?"

He stays silent and Mako backs out of the room but quickly reenters with my Grandpa, who was wearing just shorts expressing his desire to go to the beach. He takes one glance at my grandma and tries to exit the room in a similar style to Mako but Grandma spots him, "Zuko, your son is getting married and he didn't tell us."

"Why is he only my son when you're annoyed at him?" he mutters quietly walking over to the elderly woman. my Uncle and Zuko share a look as he passes him, he takes the photo and glances at it. "He did mention he was moving to the water tribe to settle down."

"But that doesn't tell me he getting married, it is expressing his desire to get married," Grandma states, she puts her hands up annoyed and leaves the room. We all watch her except for Uncle Yuri, who stares at the floor his hair falling around his face. My Mum rushes after her's and Grandpa places a hand on Uncle's shoulder. "Your Mum is happy for you, she is just upset that you didn't mention it. Why didn't you tell us?"
"I... I... I don't know." He stutters looking up at his father, Zuko embraces him while Mako silently walks to me. He wraps an arm around my waist and attempts to lead me out of the room. As we reach the doorway, I hear Uncle start to speak. "I'm so scared. What happens if we can't live together? Or We can't have children? There are endless possibilities for negative circumstances."

"But the amount of positive circumstances is also the same. You might not have children but you can still be happy together. Anyone can live together, it's about taking the time to allow it to work." Grandpa states, we enter the hallway and Mako brushes hair from out of my face. He leans down and kisses my lips softly.

"It's our last day together for a while, let's go to the beach with your family and spend time with everyone." He says, I nod and he takes my hand guiding me to my bedroom. As we enter the hallway, Wu stands at the end of it taking to a maid. Both blushing furiously, I share a look with Mako as we enter the room. We quickly change into our swimwear and walk down the beach. It was empty except for a few local couples due to it being in the public exclusion zone. I throw down my towel and Mako watches me curiously as I run towards the water. I dive in and the cold sea embraces me, I resurface and Mako slowly walks in. Every time a wave hit him, he jumped around squealing from the coldness. I laugh and swim up to him, he stares at me with wide eyes. "Don't you dare Ri!"

"What?" I ask innocently, he shakes his head and steps further in. I wrap my arms around his neck and he screams out my name as I pull us both in the water. He flaps around like an airborne fish, trying to push away from me. I let him go and he quickly swims to surface, I follow him and he glares at me. "Come on, the water is beautiful and the day would be gone if I let you continue walking in."

"It is my right as a man and police officer to be able to choose how I enter a body of water." He huffs, I laugh at him and fall back into the water. He catches my waist and lifts me up over his shoulder, I scream with laughter as he throws me into the sea. I hit a cold spot and uses some fire to heat the water up, Mako looks at me disgusted. "Did you just pee? It got warmer."

"No I heated the water up with firebending," I say smiling, he starts to move away from me and goosebumps cover his body. "Bit cold over there sweetie?" I ask moving closer to him, he shakes his head and kicks his legs.

"Stay over there in your pee water."