Chapter 8: A Man's Cry

I dip my foot in the pond, butterflies float around. It's been two days since, my brother abdicated. In an hour, I will have my first public appearance as the crowned princess. My mother has invited many guests from Republic city, people who are important in the world and that should be at the crowning of someone they may work with one day. Avatar Korra arrive early in the morning, Tenzin and his family with her. Prince Wu will arrive any minute, he is staying in the palace with his bodyguard, Mako. 

"Princess Rina, Prince Wu has arrived." A guard states, I look over my shoulder at him and nod. He bows and walks off, I sigh and walk towards the entrance of the palace. Mako, is someone, I wanted to see but I didn't want too at the same time, I was scared of how he would react as the last time we spoke we weren't on the best of terms. 

"Princess," The Lords bow as I walk through the hallway full of rushing servants and nobles as they get ready for the coronation of sorts. At the end of the busy hallway stands the brown haired Prince and Mako. My heart twists uncomfortably as I near him, how I wish to kiss him again but I'm not sure if he would like that after I left him. 

"Princess Rina," Wu says formality bowing, I bow back and look at Mako, he bows without saying a word. "The castle is still as glorious as I remember, have you expanded the grounds?" he asks, trying to make small talk aware of the awkwardness between Mako and I. 

"No, Wu can I please talk to Mako allow for a few minutes?" I ask him, he nods and I call my chamber maid in to show him where he will be staying. Zanni, my chamber maid, is a trained body guard as well as the maid job, it's more under cover even though I can look after myself, its not a horrible idea to have a another set of eyes watching you. 

"Rina, I'm sorry. I went off at you for no reason, you were just telling me your thoughts and I should of listened to them like a good boyfriend but I just ignored you. I was too stubborn." He admits, I rush over to him and kiss him. He wraps his arms around my waist and pulls me in close, "So the crowned Princess of the Fire Nation is my girlfriend, that gonna be fun." 

"Mako, this was something I needed to talk to you about. If you find this too daunting or you feel you won't be able to do it, you can tell me. I know its gonna be a hard relationship and I understand if you just want to stay at friends." I say looking him the eyes, he grabs my arms and rests his forehead against mine. 

"I'm not leaving you now, not while you go through this change. I understand it will be difficult, I'll be with Wu in the Earth Kingdom and you'll be here learning about how to be a great Fire Lord." He says, he kisses me on the cheek and I smile, I rest my head into the crook of his neck. 

I leave another maid to show Mako where he will be staying, My Mother had summoned me to the gardens claiming she had a surprise for me. I enter the large area and two white hair women sit on a bench staring of one of our many ponds. I walk over and my Mother sits next to my grandmother, Sachiko. I run over and hug her. She lives on Ember Island with my grandfather. I haven't see her in months., "Grandma, I missed you so!" 

"Rina, it is good to see you. I have heard of the great news this is why I travel here to watch my granddaughter become to the woman she was meant to be." She says, my smile falls slightly and she notices this. "Izumi give us some privacy."

"But Mother..." My mum says like she wasn't being allowed a treat. Grandma gives her a look and she moves on, grandma turns back to me. 

"Now Rina, tell me what you think about this." She orders, My grandma was a persistent person. She was born into a noble fire nation family, she was friends with my grandfather when they were children. Before my grandfather was banished, Grandma's family was murdered and banished by my great-grandfather, Fire Lord Ozai. She then fled to the Earth kingdom and became a herbalist until Zuko and my great-uncle Iroh showed up serving in a tea shop. She tells me that Grandfather didn't like her the same way for years but he tells me differently. She has been so supportive of me, I know my family would accept Mako and help us through it.  "Truthfully." 

"Well, I wasn't expecting this. I had so much I wanted to do but now it is restricted because it's my job to stay alive. Plus there is a guy..." I answer, I see her face glow with happiness and her eyes become youthful.

"Who is this boy?" She asks, as if we were two teenage girls relying on each other. I blush and smile goofily, it's not often when I can act my age. 

"His name is Mako and he is a police officer from Republic City. He has been assigned as Prince Wu's bodyguard." I state, she grabs my hands and holds them tightly. "He's a Fire Bender and he is staying at the castle while Wu is here. I will be travelling back with them to the Earth Kingdom to help establish the new states."

"Well, I would like to meet this young man. He seems respectable but what will happen when you need to return to the Fire Nation or the Republic city? It will be difficult to stay with him, you have responsibilities to tend to Rina." She states clearly thinking of things that could go wrong but that's how she's always been, she is a great planner and helped the army many times with strategies but it's not helpful sometimes.   "I'm sorry to do that but I want what is best for you. I know you can handle yourself but it's hard to watch a new generation make the same mistakes as the old." 

"Thank you Grandma for the advice, we better head to dinner. Wu and Mako will be joining us, you can meet him then but promise me that you won't mention this to Mum yet. You know what she can be like," I say smirking, she rolls her eyes but nods. "Come on then, Gran." 

I pull her up and help her into the palace, she's currently 89 years of age while grandpa is 90. But through the pain and suffering they have gone through, you can still see the youthful love in their eyes. Something I wish to have. 

We step into the dining room and everyone mingles around the table, Tenzin and his family have come and so has Korra and Asami. I hug Tenzin and Gran hugs him as well. "Little tenzin not so anymore, these must be your children." She says looking the three children standing next to him as the forth runs to his wife Pema. "And your wife, Pema was it?"

"Yes, it's a pleasure to see you again Lady Sachiko." she says bowing, my Gran doesn't bow back but she jokes with Pema saying it's her back. Mako wanders over towards me and grasps my hand, he kisses it softly.

"Unless, you have two men in your life, this must be Mako."Gran says looking him up and down, she leans to me and whispers in my ear. "You certainly picked a handsome one," She looks back at Mako, "I have heard you are a fire bender and a police officer, you have job guarding Prince Wu."

"Yes, ma'am. I hope to get a job closer to your granddaughter through, as much as it has been a honour guarding Wu." he says, she raises her eyebrow impressed. "I didn't realise that she has spoken so much of me, I would have liked some warning before meeting you." 

"Why is that son?" She asks curiously trying to act as if she has been offended.

"I mean, I practically meeting my girlfriend's parents for the first time. It's very nerve-wracking, as you can imagine." He states, a sweat drop rolls down his forehead as Gran stays silent.

"Well, Mako you are a very nice boy and I am glad my grand-daughter has you to turn to in this hard time." She says, she turns away and Mako looks like he is about to scream with joy. I grab his arm and peck his lips.

"Well done, you passed the Grandma test. My father didn't past it and now he's gone, do you see the problem?" I state, he gulps and I laugh.