Chapter 2: Ruins

I stand next to Mako as Korra threatens the newly captured Baatar Jr. Thanks to the team, he was kidnapped and brought to be interrogated. 

After Korra attempted to scare him, he didn't budge. Then his mother, Suyin tried to win him back still didn't work. Korra then had the idea of taking Baatar away from Kuvira forever, this won. 

He is now talking with his love over the radio trying to get her to surrender. "I've been captured. My airship was ambushed and I was taken by force. Korra refuses to release me unless we back down and leave the city."

"I'm fine."

"Yes, everyone is here." 

"Listen to me. If you try to take Republic City, the Avatar will never let me see you again... and I refuse to live that way. Forget the United Republic, we have our empire we have each other! Let's go back home and get married. The only thing that matters is that we're together of the rest of our lives." 

Korra lets him out of his bonds, signally that she has agreed to the surrender. I smile and look at Mako but he steps away from the window shocked, his gaze planted where the robot stands. 

"Guys! she must have our location! she's pointing that weapon right at us!" Mako shouts to the others, I follow his gaze and realize he is right. 

"No! She wouldn't!" Baatar yells shocked. 

"Everyone out! Now! Now!" Korra commands the group everyone runs for the doors, I look behind me worried. The beam shoots at us, in a last attempt of survival I get into position and try to fire bend the beam it doesn't work but I was able to restrict the fire from the explosion. 

The blast pushes me to the ground, I roll a couple metres   before stopping. I cough and look around, one of the walls has fallen on top of us. I get pulled up by an unknown helper suddenly the wall is lifted up, Mako holds my arm as we rush out of the way. Bolin holding the wall up with his Earth bending his face contorted from the stain of holding the weight. 

"You alright?" He asks as I take a deep breath, I touch my hair checking if my hair piece is still there. I look him in the eyes and smile softly. 

"Thanks." I mutter, he looks around at the others. Tenzin runs off to the top of a building while everyone else groups in a flat area in the ruble. 

"Kuvira is heading out way with a platoon of mecha suits!" Tenzin shouts coming back, we all look at each other wearily. 

"What should we do?" Asami asks waiting for orders. 

"This is my hometown and I hate to say it but there's no use ricking all our lives to fight that giant thing! Let her take the city for now! we'll think of some way to come back and beat her!" Bolin says, I sigh and run my hair through my hair. 

"What about all the people who haven't been evacuated yet?" I pip up, trying to explain why we shouldn't give up this easily. 

"If Kuvira finds out that Wu is with them, she might fire the spirit cannon at him and take them all out." Mako states thinking of the person he has be enlisted to protect. 

"I couldn't stop Kuvira from taking Zaofu. I'm not letting her conquer Republic City. The world isn't safe as long as she has that weapon." Korra states still determined as ever. 

"I agree. We take down that giant today." A firm voice says from above us, I look up and see Lin Beifong.

"Lin!" Korra exclaims. 

"Glad to see you all made it out. You had me worried." Lin says smiling. 

"Well, you benders are going to have to fight her alone. She just blew up our factory with all our hummingbird." Varrick states angrily, Asami lifts her gaze up suddenly. 

"Not all of them. there are the prototypes back at my office. If we can get those ready to fly, we'll at least be able to offer a little air support." She admits, I nod agreeing with the plan. 

"Su, you take Baatar Jr. and the rest of the wounded back to Asami's office. Get those suits working as soon as you can, the rest of us will just have to face Kuvira on out own."

-

-

We run through the deserted streets, I've placed myself protectively in behind the airbending children. Meelo, Tenzin's oldest son suddenly stops and glances into a shut down paint store. 

"A paint store? That's it!" He exclaims, he airbends the doors open. I watch him confused as he grabs a bucket of paint. 

"What are you doing, Meelo?" I ask, Lin walks into the store with others behind her. 

"I just got an idea how to beat the giant. Now, everyone, grab some paint and find me some balloons!" He orders confident with his plan, Lin and I share are look, I grab two buckets of paint and walk outside. Once everyone was loaded up and Korra was back from getting Balloons we continued to run down the streets. 

We reunite with the other Airbenders, Meelo shares that he wants us to fill the balloons up with paint to use as a mask on the mecha suit. I fill a couple up then hand them to Tenzin who straps them to his glider suit. 

We also had to gather huge coils of wire so we can trip the monster over. 

The plan begins and I now stand in a alley way with Lin, Wei, Wing, Mako and Bolin ready to help dispenser the wire. 

The airbenders hit the windows with paint blocking Kuvira's view. Lin runs to the giants foot and tries to metal bend the joints in the ankle. 

 "The joints are platinum too! We can't metalbend any of it!" Lin yells to us, Bolin runs out and Lava bends the street under the giants foot. 

The twins and Lin metal bend the wire around the legs of the giant. "Hit it now!" Bolin shouts to the airbenders, Mako and I watch as large amount air hits the robot's chest causing it to sway backwards. The weapon fires off randomly as the giant tries to stabilize, I gasp and I latch my hand onto Mako's arm. 

The giant starts to stabilize, Kuvira aims the canon at the airbenders and shoots. They scatter and Korra jumps to the street, I let go of Mako's arm and walk out into the street. Bolin runs to a unconscious airbending girl, I look at Mako saddened by our loss. 

"Everyone retreat! Take the wounded back to Asami's office!" Korra orders, I help a male airbender up and help him into one of the alleyways. Just as we get into it, another beam of energy hits where we were standing moments ago. 

"We can do this," I say quietly to myself as I make my way to Asami's office with the injured airbender.